4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 10:16 AM by philmodjunk

Auto expand fields downwards on printed reports?

pauhana658

Title

Auto expand fields downwards on printed reports?

Client today asked that I include some extra information about the jobs I did for her. I added the requested text to the relevant portal record and then previewed the results prior to printing. The text was cut off by size of the field. I then spent the next hour trying to find a way have this field automatically expand downards to accommodate all the text in the field, whether it be a two lines or a whole paragraph (no, I don't see that happening very often). I want the field to collapse around the amount of text -- I don't want to have fields show two or three empty lines if the field only has a single line of text. It is only relevant to printed output. 

I tried modifying Layouts/Layout Setup/Views...which offered List and Table views, and the Table view DID seem to offer Resizable Columns, but wow, the result was very unattractive, replacing my nicely laid out line items with an Excel spreadsheet-looking table. Not what I want. I just want the relevant field to expand downwards to accommodate all of the text in that field for each line of the list.

Is there any way of doing this in FileMaker Pro 12?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Auto expand fields downwards on printed reports?
          Sorbsbuster

You can't expand fields, only shrink them, with the print/slide objects options.

Iy would not normally be best practice to print a layout with portals.  You can let the user think that's what's happening, but it is more common to freeze the window, go to the related records table and show the correct related records (that appear in the portal), print that, then return to the original layout.

Then you can use the sliding controls the way you need, as well.

• 2. Re: Auto expand fields downwards on printed reports?
            pauhana658

Thanks for the tip. Too bad.  I've decided to start with expanding the field to two lines on the layout and seeing how that works. Can't get as many records on each invoice, but not many jobs require more than a dozen or so items, anyway. Perhaps I'll experiment with sliding controls later, when I have more time. 

But no, I'm not printing layouts with portals. I have separate layouts for printing and they have layout parts and fields in the appropriate parts. 

Again, thanks!

• 3. Re: Auto expand fields downwards on printed reports?
              Sorbsbuster

"But no, I'm not printing layouts with portals. I have separate layouts for printing" - from your Post comment: "I added the requested text to the relevant portal record and then previewed the results prior to printing" I assumed you were printing that layout, complete with portal.  If you already have the other dedicated layout you'll have solved the printing problem.  If you want to have the feature in browse mode, you can't; it only slides in print and preview.

If it only happens occasionally you could have a tooltip for the field that displays the whole field contents.  You could highlight the field if it contains more than x characters (the number of characters that fit in the existing box).

• 4. Re: Auto expand fields downwards on printed reports?
                philmodjunk

Of course counting the number of characters in the field is only an approximate estimate of what will "fit" given that different letters have different widths unless you go "retro" and use a non-proportional font such as Ye Olde Courier. You might want to just set the tool tip to display the entire field contents for all numbers of characters.

A trick that I have used on a layout to squeeze a bit more text into view is to use conditional formatting to specify a smaller font size when the number of characters exceeds a certain number.