7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2014 3:45 PM by philmodjunk

Auto expand report fields for long text

joecc

Title

Auto expand report fields for long text

I need a report with 2 fields that vary in length (from a couple of lines to several pages depending on how much info in contained in the fields). I am attaching MS Access report page for reference. I want 2 things to happen: 1) for each field to grow or shrink depending on the data. & 2) permit those fields to flow to a 2nd (or 3rd) page if necessary. As you see, the 2 fields of interest are separated by a text field (not necessary) & both fields have adjusted to fit the content. 

I have searched "everywhere" on web & forums for this & only found shirnking or sliding, neither of which serve my purpose. 

Aritwork_in_Tour_Order.jpg

• 1. Re: Auto expand report fields for long text
          philmodjunk

Shrinking and sliding are about it. Can you describe why they are not sufficient to what you need? (Maybe someone can think of a way to get them to work for you .)

• 2. Re: Auto expand report fields for long text
            joecc

Reply to PhilModJunk

Thanks for your thoughts. Here is my dilemma in different words.

Text fields (ArtistSummary & Artwork Notes in attachment from previous post) both vary from 10-15 lines to 2-3 pages. Must I create a 3-page field in the printed report for each & let shrink reduce each entry for a particular work of art? That could result in a 6-7 page layout setup. How will that affect the layout? can I create report with 2 fields 24" long each while adhering to an 8.5x11 page setup with footer? Will I end up with a lot of blank pages? I'll try this in the meantime to see what happens.

• 3. Re: Auto expand report fields for long text
              joecc

Further reply to PhilModJunk

Yep. That worked. I guess I'll have to verify the length of all my entries to be less than 3 pages long (24" long fields).

Thanks

Now I find that going from 1 record to another ends with a page eject that in some cases results in 1 line on 2nd page. I haven't delved into this yet due to the above issue. Perhaps I will find a way to create just a 3 px line like my example to separate records and a way to prevent new page.

Joe 

• 4. Re: Auto expand report fields for long text
                philmodjunk

IF your report extends even 1 pixel across the line into the next page, you'll get that extra page even though that page may be blank.

There are ways to check for "fit" in a field by previewing the data on a layout where the field is set to slide up and using GetLayoutObjectAttribute to check the height of the field. It's a bit of an awful Kludge, but it works.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
                3. Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
                5. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
                7. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
                9. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
                11. Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
                13. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
                15. In FMP13, hidden objects (”Hide object when”) will slide/resize.
                • 5. Re: Auto expand report fields for long text
                  philmodjunk

And you'll find that FileMaker's limitations in this area was one of many issues addressed by me here: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/56b3613440

There's a link in there that you can click to file your own feature request with FileMaker if you are inclined to do so.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 6. Re: Auto expand report fields for long text
                    joecc

Reply to PhilModJunk

Thanks again.

I found that I can have continuous flow without page breaks. Steps: Layout > Part setup > select Body, Change > select "Allow part to break across page boundaries". I left "Use active row state" checked since I knew not its implications. I added a line (with shrinking) to mark between records that moved with fields. I am almost there …

Herels a snap of page 1

Joe C

• 7. Re: Auto expand report fields for long text
                      philmodjunk

A different structure to your data might also improve on this. Each of the "Notes" sentences could be data in a single record in a table of notes linked to the Parent record that has the fields for each artwork. That raises a few challenges for the Artist Notes: but those don't look to be insurmountable.