1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 5:40 AM by ninja

Auto Fill across all records

RyanGuppy

Title

Auto Fill across all records

Hi Guys, i'm pretty new to Filemaker Pro and database creation so i hope this question isn't too noobish.

I am making an events database tracking what events customers have attended etc. What i am trying to do is create an 'admin' page (layout 1) where i enter in all the different event information. I have 30 events on the same page for instance.

I am trying to get this information to auto fill down into every customer record. So i only have to enter the event information once, instead of for each customer. 

I have tried using the relation function, having the events in a seperate database but i found i would still have to go through each customer record and manually type in the event name to get the information to appear. I can't do this else i will want to kill everyone in the office haha

To boil it down i want to take information from X and have it automatically go into every record of Y automatically, without having to go to Y.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Auto Fill across all records
          ninja

Howdy Ryan,

Check out the "Replace Field Contents" command.  This command can be done manually or scripted and will affect the found set all at once.  You could create the found set using a "goToRelatedRecords" step.

Be careful with it though...it is powerful and 'one-way'.  Test it out and explore it on a separate copy first, you only get one shot to do it right.