1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 10:30 AM by TSGal

Auto Fill Fields

TTiger

Title

Auto Fill Fields

Hello,

Is there a way to automatically fill in a field? I would like to set it up to where If I choose an event title it will automatically enter in the EventID on the same layout,

or auto enter in the Event Title if I type in the EventID.

• 1. Re: Auto Fill Fields
          TSGal

TTiger:

Thank you for your post.

I am assuming you have a table that includes the Event Title and EventID.  For this example, let's assume the table is called "LOOKUP".

In your main table (which I'll call MAIN), create a relationship into LOOKUP based on EventID, and create a relationship to a second table occurrence of LOOKUP (LOOKUP 2) based on Event Title.

Next, in MAIN, double-click on the Event Title field definition to bring up the Options dialog box.  Select the "Auto-Enter" tab and put a check mark in the option "Looked-up value".  Starting with table "MAIN", Lookup from related table LOOKUP, and copy value from field "Event Title".

Double-click on the EventID field, and put a check mark in the option "Looked-up value".  Starting with table "MAIN", Lookup from related table LOOKUP 2, and copy value from field "EventID".

Now, go to browse and enter an EventID, and the corresponding Event Title will display.  Go to a new record, enter the Event Title, and the corresponding EventID will display.

If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.