AnsweredAssumed Answered

Auto fill species database based on another column, no unique ID

Question asked by IngridKnapp on Feb 17, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 23, 2015 by philmodjunk

Title

Auto fill species database based on another column, no unique ID

Hi I'm trying to revamp my labs sample collection database and would like to add some columns which will fully auto complete based on another column (no drop down menus, I have 1000's of records!).

The data is a collation of collected genetic tissue samples. So there are a number of samples with the same species names and I want to auto populate what phylum, and eventually what genus, they are in so it's easier to search the database in the future. I've been reading a lot of forums/watching tutorials and I still can't seem to do it. 

I have one main table (A) with all the sample information (incl. species name, location, collector, unique ID etc) and another table (B) with species names and the phylum they belong to (I'll deal with genus if I can get this to work). I want the phylum column in the main table A to autofill based on the phylum info in the species name table B. Is this possible?

I've created relationships between the 2 tables (in every way I can think of, including ticking the "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" button"). I looked into portals, but I wasn't sure if I should pursue that method more amongst other methods.

I'd like to be able to do this for a number of variables, so it would be exceptionally useful to work this out. I feel like it should be an easy fix, but I just can't seem to work it out. Also a lot of the original files were in filemaker pro 9 so this is the version I'll be using presently (but I can mostly work out version differences). 

If further information is needed please let me know and I'll be happy to provide it.

Many thanks

Grid

Outcomes