2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2012 2:03 PM by Sorbsbuster

Auto incrementing ID numbers

KyleB.

Title

Auto incrementing ID numbers

Hello

I am a student at Michigan Technological University working with an on going experiment with my advisor.  We will be running thousands of samples over the next few years and are using file maker to log each sample and the data collected.

Our process of operation is to make a record in File Maker and give it a sample ID number.  To avoid mis-typing of digits or accidental replicating of an ID number I was hoping to make FM see the previous record when sorted by ID and assign a newly created record with an ID number 1 + the previous. 

Neither of us are well versed in databases.  I have tried to use the serial number option but it hasn't worked out.  It keeps incrementing by larger and larger values even though we only want a single number incrementation.  I have tried to use "calculate value" on the Auto-Enter tab, but it has always returned an empty box.

So... Simply stated we would like file maker to auto enter the Sample ID number 1 larger than the previous largest ID number. 

The help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Auto incrementing ID numbers
          philmodjunk

It keeps incrementing by larger and larger values even though we only want a single number incrementation.

Please post an example of the numbering method you want for your samples.

"single number incrementation" means what exactly"

Do you have a two part sample number such as?

1.1, 1.2, 1.3 for samples in group 1 and 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 for samples in group 2?

• 2. Re: Auto incrementing ID numbers
            Sorbsbuster

"Simply stated we would like file maker to auto enter the Sample ID number 1 larger than the previous largest ID number. "

This is the default behaviour for Filemaker when you select to auto-enter a serial number.  It sets the next serial number to be 1 (you can make this auto-correct to be the next highest value) and to increment by 1 each time.  Is this what you want?  You can set that very simply in the Field Definition options.  (In fact you would have to have gone to a wee bit of trouble to have un-set it.)