2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2013 7:32 PM by PL

Auto numbering and auto creating 500+ shipping labels

PL

Title

Auto numbering and auto creating 500+ shipping labels

Hi,

I am a new user for FM Pro 12.  I hope someone can help me for my first FM Pro project.

I created 4 fields

1. Description

2. Carton Start number

3. Carton number

4. Total boxes

For example, I need to create 500 shipping labels for 500 boxes that need to be shipped.  The first 100 boxes (named carton 1, 2, 3,……100) has description A.  Then from carton 101 to 150 may have description B.  Carton 151 to 400 may have description C.  Finally, carton 401 to 500 may have description D.

I want to input all the information in one single form (which I already created).  Then, the FileMaker Pro can create the carton numbers and print on an assigned label (I know how to format the layout).

Can anyone help me for the auto numbering and auto creating the 500 carton numbers when I print the label?

Thanks for your help in advance.

PL

• 1. Re: Auto numbering and auto creating 500+ shipping labels
          philmodjunk

I want to input all the information in one single form (which I already created).

Does that form use only the 4 fields you describe here?

With that set of fields, I see no way to designate that

The first 100 boxes (named carton 1, 2, 3,……100) has description A.  Then from carton 101 to 150 may have description B.  Carton 151 to 400 may have description C.  Finally, carton 401 to 500 may have description D.

Unless you were prepared to create the first 100 label records, then change the description and create the next 50, etc...

That is possible and simplifies the script, but it is not clear if this is what you plan on doing here.

However you work out those details, you can use global fields (fields with global storage specified in field options) to store the inital information, the description, the initial box number, the number of boxes... and then a script can loop to create the needed label records to suit the info you are specifying.

• 2. Re: Auto numbering and auto creating 500+ shipping labels
            PL

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I used "global fields" and make something is working.  I am doing good now.  But still working on the details.  Will let you know once I need your help again!!

Appreicated your reponse.  And apologize my late response back to you.

Regards,

PL