1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2012 1:48 PM by philmodjunk

Auto Populate and Default curser location

IvanGamboa

Title

Auto Populate and Default curser location

Hello my fellow filemakers!!!

So I am in a bit of a conundrum here, I have created a database and took a template from filemaker pro. This is a inventory database to be more specific, I almost have this thing down packed but running into a bit of an issue here.

1.) Id like to auto populate. I have a USB scanner that does keyboard strokes when I scan a barcode from an asset i dont want to have to constantly hti enter. I am lost as to where i can find and option and specify the fields to autopopulate

2.) How can I get my curser to default to a specific location within my search? Everytime i click on perform find it goes to an incorrect box, Ive gone to manage tables and fixed the order but still nothing. Ill attached photos

Pictures.jpg

• 1. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
          philmodjunk

No photos are visible. Did you upload a gif, png or jpg file? Those are the only file formats you can upload.

If you search this forum for "bar code" you should find a number of threads on this subject. Some include sample scripts and a discussion of how to use a barcode scanner to trip script triggers in order to fully automate the scanning process.

The first part depends on your scanner. You'll have to consult the techical info that comes with your scanner or the tech support folks for your scanner, but it should be possible to configure the scanner to put some text at the beginning and end of the data scanned from the bar code. The initial characters--such as shift-capslock-~ that i've used in some of my solutions can trip the OnLayoutKeystroke trigger. The script can use Get ( TriggerKeystroke) and Get ( TriggerModifierKeys ) to detect that the programmed character combination was pressed. If so, it can use go to field or go to object to put the cursor in the correct field for receiving the scanned data. Exit Script [False] can then keep the ~ or other such triggering text from actually being input into a field on the layout.

The second step is to use that same configuration set up for your scanner to have it put a tab, return or enter key character at the end of the scanned data. You can then set up field behavior on your field to respond to that character to exit the field and then the OnObjectExit trigger can then be used to detect the fact that the data has been fully scanned in and thus can process the data thus scanned--such as using it to perform a find for records with that bar code.

The added benefit to this approach is that if the scanner breaks down or you have a label that won't scan, you can click into the field, type in the data and press tab, enter, or return and the system will process the data just as though you had scanned it.

• 2. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
            IvanGamboa

Hey Phil,

Sorry about that, i meant to upload but forgot in the process, I just uploaded now. As for the 1st answer it is a scanner that replicates keyboard key strokes as if you were going to type in barcode #'s manually so for instance if i were to scan a barcode and underneath the barcode it stated 000167 that 000167 would be populated into the field asset tag field.

Looking at your response it looks to be as if maybe my best bet would just to create a script so that the cursor will default to its location and when bar code is scanned then the info will autopopulate with the given script at hand.

My only and very major problem is..... I do not know how to script in filemaker pro or even script for that matter. Is there some kind of script i can manipulate to do exactly what id like to do? THanks again

• 3. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
              philmodjunk

If you plan on using FileMaker and don't know how to create scripts, you need to learn as scripts are a major way to automate behavior.

it is a scanner that replicates keyboard key strokes as if you were going to type in barcode #'s manually

That's called "keyboard emulation" and almost all scanners function in that mode. Almost all can be configured to include additional data at the beginning and end of the scanned data. How to configure them to do that depends on the scanner. Some scanners are configured by scanning special bar codes included with the scanners user manual--others come with software for doing the configuring. You'll need to check the techincal info that came with your scanner to learn how to do this if you want to automate the scanning process.

BTW, any settings you select in Manage | Database | Fields do not affect the tab order for fields on a given layout. To change those settings, enter layout mode and select "set tab order..." from the Layouts menu.

• 4. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
                IvanGamboa

Sweet I just got my curser to finally go where it needs to go. Now all i need to do is get my scanner to press "enter" after each scan of a bar code. and from what I am understading this is only possible by creating a script?

• 5. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
                  philmodjunk

and also configuring your scanner to add that character to the scan data.

• 6. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
                    IvanGamboa

Wait I'd have to create a script into the scanner as well as FileMaker 

• 7. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
                      philmodjunk

Why would you need to do that?

• 8. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
                        IvanGamboa

I thought you said in order to autopulate I'd have to create a script?

• 9. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
                          philmodjunk

Yes, but you do not need to "script into the scanner", unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by that phrase.

There is no need to control the scanner from a script, provided it is configured properly to send the necessary "control characters" at each end of the string of data scanned in from the bar code label.

• 10. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
                            IvanGamboa

Hey Phil just want to thank you for all your help and response. So let me recap here, On the first post where the first field is "Asset Tag" I scan that with my barcode scanner which puts in ex 000167, and in order for the rest of the fields to generate the information to populate the rest of the fields id have to create a script into the scanner that states, "when scanning this barcode i then want you to press enter so that it searches the DB and fills in the proper info"

The reason for the re-cap is because I just am trying to undestand how i would script into a barcode scanner, but i guess that would have to be done with the manufacturer of the scanner. But my other question would be cant i just program that field to say "when info has been inputed into this field look in the DB to populate the below?" Sorry for the lack of knowledge i am just trying to grasp this and try and understand it. Thanks again in advance.

• 11. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
                              philmodjunk

That is not what I meant.

You configure the scanner so that when you scan a barcode with 000167, text such as ~000167<enterKeyCharacter> is input. An OnLayoutKeystroke script trigger set on this layout detects the ~ and puts the cursor into the correct field and uses Exit Script [False] to keep the ~ from being entered into the field. The field is set up with a field behavior setting that responds to the enter key as the signal to exit the field. An OnObjectExit trigger set on this field then performs a second script, if needed to pull up your data.

What that script does depends on the design of your database. You can scan into a global text field and this script can then perform a find to find the record matching that barcode or it can create a new record and copy the value in the global field into a field in this new reord with a relationship that then matches to a record for that asset in a related table and thus the other fields on the layout--taken from that related table will display the correct data.

With this set up correctly, all you have to do is scan barcodes and everything else happens automatically.

• 12. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
                                IvanGamboa

Hey Phil,

Ok so I am finally getting somewhere, I got my scanner utility installed on my computer and programmed it to input ~ and send an enter after, but heres thes problem I am currently facing, I cannot get my scanner to inpute the information that I have scanned. This is where I am lost, will it be configured on the filemaker pro side or the scanner side?

Thanks again

• 13. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
                                  philmodjunk

If you click into a text field or just open a word processor and scan a barcode, does the data appear in the field?

If it does, then have you set up the layout based script trigger for selecting your field?

If it hasn't you'll need to consult your scanner's tech support to find out why. (Make sure that it's functioning in "Keyboard emulation mode".)

• 14. Re: Auto Populate and Default curser location
                                    IvanGamboa

Right now i am just working on getting it to scan and then just input the text on the specific field, below are my fields when i scan it puts in ~ but does not enter the text from the barcod. This is what happens when i scan ~ < no text > Enter, when i want it to do ~ < asset tag # > Enter that way it performs the find and inputes the data in the fields such as username, dept etc

1 2 Previous Next