9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2009 12:08 PM by anicolais

Auto Populate ID#

anicolais

Title

Auto Populate ID#

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am trying to make a field in my database called ID#. I am trying to make it auto populate with the record number. Is this possible? Then when a button is clicked I am trying to make it go to another layout and populate the ID# on that layout with the same ID# as the record you were currently on when you clicked the button...Thus in turn relating the 2 records. Any ideas?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Auto Populate ID#
          philmodjunk

The standard Filemaker way to do this is:

Define a number field set to auto-enter a serial number--each new record thus receives a unique number.

Define a relationship between the two tables and select the "Allow creation of records via this relationship" option for the second table.

Now, once the new record in table 1 is created, you can create your related record simply by typing in a portal or using a set field step to set any non-blank data to any field in table 2. (Either action is performed from a layout that refers to table 1.) Both options create a record in table 2 with the serial number of the current record Table 1 auto-entered into the matching field in table 2.

Is this what you had in mind?

• 2. Re: Auto Populate ID#
            anicolais
               The only thing is I have all my accounts in the database already, and none of the contacts. I made an auto calcualted field that gets the current record for the account layout and puts it in the account ID. I have 800 acounts ID# 1-800. I made Account::ID# and Contact:ID# relate. Now I am trying to figure out a way to make it so when a button is pressed on the account page it will first find the contacts that are related to that account. If there is no contacts then I want it still to bring me to layout and when I click new record it will auto populate the Contact::ID# with the same account::ID# thus relating the records.
            • 3. Re: Auto Populate ID#
              philmodjunk

"If there is no contacts then I want it still to bring me to layout and when I click new record it will auto populate the Contact::ID# with the same account::ID# thus relating the records. "

If the layout is based on Contact and there are no matching contacts records to find, your layout will be blank until you create 1 related record.

This is how I'd do it:

Enable the "Allow creation of records..." option I posted earlier if you have not already done so.

Your script for a button on your account layout:

If [count(Contact::ID#) = 0 /* there are no related contact records for the current account record */]

Set Field [Contact::ID#, Account::ID#] //this creates the new blank created record.

end if

Go to related record [Show only related records; from table: "contact"; using layout: "contacts" (contact)]

If you want to create a new related record on your contacts layout, use:

Set Variable [$ID; Contact::ID#]

New Record/Request

Set Field [Contact::ID#; $ID]

• 4. Re: Auto Populate ID#
                anicolais
                   Ok lets say my account::ID# = 54. I am now trying to set it up so there is a button on my Account layout that when clicked will create a new record in the contact layout and will auto enter the 54 into Contact::ID#. While bringing the user to the new record. This is all i need to know how to do. Thanks!
                • 5. Re: Auto Populate ID#
                  philmodjunk

Combine the two scripts so that the new related record is always created:

If [count(Contact::ID#) = 0 /* there are no related contact records for the current account record */]

Set Field [Contact::ID#, Account::ID#] //this creates the new blank created record.

else

Set Variable [$ID; Account::ID#]

Go To layout [Contacts (contact)]

New Record/Request

Go To Layout [Origininal Layout]

end if

Go to related record [Show only related records; from table: "contact"; using layout: "contacts" (contact)]

Note: going back to the original account layout allows go to related record to pull up existing related records and the new record in a combined found set.

• 6. Re: Auto Populate ID#
                    anicolais

For some reason this wont work...the button just clicks but it does nothing. I will mess around a bit see fi I can figure something out.

end if

• 7. Re: Auto Populate ID#
                      anicolais
                         sorry i didnt see what you jsut wrote I will try that
                      • 8. Re: Auto Populate ID#
                        philmodjunk

It occurs to me we can simplify since we are now creating a new related record all the time:

Set Variable [$ID; Account::ID#]

Go To layout [Contacts (contact)]

New Record/Request

Go To Layout [Origininal Layout]

Go To Related Record....

Should work for you.

If not, and you have fmp advanced, step through it with the debugger on and see where things go off the rails.

• 9. Re: Auto Populate ID#
                          anicolais
                             Got It. Thanks a lot for all the help!