1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 29, 2011 9:01 AM by philmodjunk

Auto populating a column with unique values from another table

PaulBurton

Title

Auto populating a column with unique values from another table

I have two tables.  In Table 1, I have over 10,000 records.  Each record has a value for the field "Country."  In Table 2, I have a field named "Country," which I would like to autopopulate with a record for each unique value of country from Table 1.

Basically, I want to select the unique values from Table 1 and insert the unique values in Table 2.  

Help?

• 1. Re: Auto populating a column with unique values from another table
          philmodjunk

Is this just to remove the duplicate records or do you need to retain the duplicate records when you are done?

There's knowledgebase article that describes deleting duplicates you can look up for that. http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3441/kw/duplicate

If you don't want to delete the duplicates, there are several simple "brute force" methods you can use to populate Table 2.

Define your fields in Table 2. If it's a duplicate of Table 1, you can use FileMaker advanced to copy and paste Table 1. In Regular filemaker, you can find just one Record in Table 1, then Use Import Records with the New Table option to import it into a new table that duplicates all the fields of Table 1. Either way, then open Manage | Database | Fields, find Table 2, Double click the country field and specify Unique Values, validate always on the Validation tab. Now Show all records in Table 1 and use Import records to import all the records into table 2. The Unique values validation rule will filter out the duplicates during the import.