Only in Preview mode or when printing.
Ok, I can work with that. How do I do that?
Check out the 'Sliding when printing' options. They will let you resize fields and layout parts to accommodate the variable depths.
Sliding "shrinks". It doesn't "grow". So the usual method is to make your text field much larger than you expect to ever need, then specify the slide up and resize options in the Inspector. Often, this can require using one field for browsing/data entry and another for printing--where you have a large field set to slide/resize.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Container fields will slide only if Top, Left alignment is specified for it in the data formatting section of the Inspector's data tab.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.