8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 8:18 AM by philmodjunk

auto rebuild "lablife " storage in filemaker

StephanieRott

Title

auto rebuild "lablife " storage in filemaker

Hi everybody,

due to diverse reasons we had to start using the software "Filemaker" instead of our long used "Lablife" software, for storing and organizing issues.

After a little bit of training and several online tutorials I managed to export our data from Lablife and upload it into Filemaker. Moreover I created a layout for import, editing and management of our data and this works fine so far.

My problem right now is the function "storage" of Lablife. I would like to rebuild this function within Filemaker, but have no clue how to approach this.  The function "storage" shows you an overview of the content of a certain container/box and within this box you have links to each single item with further informations.

Does anyone know if there maybe is already something like that for Filemaker that I could not find, or if not, how to rebuild it.

Many thanks in advance!!

• 1. Re: auto rebuild "lablife " storage in filemaker
          JimMac

Please describe the Actions that the "function storage" does.  It sounds like the math "funciton" which mean this is dependent or related to that.

If I am guessing right....

Then FMP uses RELATIONSHIPS.

Example....

A Customer is related to each Invoice he buys things on.  Therefore  Invoices are a "function" of a Customer.

Does this sound right?

Jim...

• 2. Re: auto rebuild "lablife " storage in filemaker
            StephanieRott

Dear Jim,

thanks for the fast answer.

Example:

I have a produkt AB.  This produkt AB is stored in Box pink row1 col1.

In this  „function storage“ I have a figure of the pink box and can directly see, what is in row1 col1. So i see that in row1 col1 is the produkt AB. So i think it is a relation. Moreover I can click on the name AB and am redirected to the page where the product and further informations are displayed. In this figure are also „free cols“ available. I can click on it and than i can store a new product.

See attached picure.

Thanks a lot

• 3. Re: auto rebuild "lablife " storage in filemaker
              JimMac

Not undrstanding the Labelssurprise, I hope is  understandable.  It sounds like you do need to review FMP a bit on what are relationships.  Then write them down for analysis of "what daa" is related to "which data"

Think of a paper file system, that uses cross referencing, to go from one file info to the other file info.  That is related by usually a unique ID number.

When you group you Data by Tables that will be a "function" of some main Table.  Although the format you show could be duplicated in FMP you will find thinking about Wells as Tables  and doing it Like FileMaker will be more in line with why you had to migrate to FMP.

Return back to the formum with more questions, but it is hard of me to see the set up you need, yet.wink

I think you probably have 2 tables and the "wells" are just pre-define FINDS which will auto-select parts of your data.  Another Guess....

Jim...

• 4. Re: auto rebuild "lablife " storage in filemaker
                philmodjunk

This looks like a "cross tab" type layout here. THis can be done with filtered portals and the correct relationships, but it's not the easiest thing for a person new to FileMaker--especially if new to relational database design to set up until they get a better understanding of the two.

• 5. Re: auto rebuild "lablife " storage in filemaker
                  StephanieRott

Hey guys,

thanks for your input smiley

My understanding of „relations“ is that you have p.e. an amount of flats.

In each flat are living  serveral persons not related to each other. Each person has a single room. So the flat is related to a person and a person is realted to a single room and the room is realted to a flat.

But each person has also single rooms in different flats too.

And i want the person and his rooms to be shown. I thought it might be shown with by using an „IF-Than –Task: If you find flat A in combination with room 2 than show the name the person living there“. But it didnt work.

A „relation table“ only allows me to register new stuff, but  I want the stuff to be shown that is already registered frown

Sorry for my greenhorn questions.

Thanks, Stephanie

• 6. Re: auto rebuild "lablife " storage in filemaker
                    philmodjunk

A „relation table“ only allows me to register new stuff, but  I want the stuff to be shown that is already registered

This is not the case.

• 7. Re: auto rebuild "lablife " storage in filemaker
                      StephanieRott

ok, than please show me how or send me a short program which includes this problem :-)

Thanks very much.

• 8. Re: auto rebuild "lablife " storage in filemaker
                        philmodjunk

My understanding of exactly what you want is too incomplete to do so.

But a relationship betwen two tables simply links the records in one table to a record or records in the other. Current, past, future isn't an issue, either you've set up links that link the records or you haven't set up the links.