4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2013 10:30 AM by melshamamyan

Auto Resize!!!

melshamamyan

Title

Auto Resize!!!

Hi,

I have been looking for an answer to this question for quite some time now and still can't find an answer. Lets say you have a field named proposal and you make it long enough for someone to type a paragraph in. When you go to save it and email it in another layout format you need to adjust the proposal field in another layout if it is bigger then what the static size is on the layout form.

How do you set the field to automatically adjust in the layout? So when you go to save it and email it as a pdf:

1. It does not cut off the text if it is longer then the static field.

2. It automatically adjusts to fit all of the text in the box.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Auto Resize!!!
          philmodjunk

I wish we could do that, but you can only set up fields to shrink to fit, not expand to fit. And this effect is only visible in Preview mode, when printing or when saving a PDF.

Best you can do is set up a special layout for this purpose and set up the field to be very large, then set it to both slide up and also to resize the enclosing part--these are options on the Inspector's position tab.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          • 2. Re: Auto Resize!!!
            melshamamyan

I have already made the field extra big and chose the option to slide left and slide up. Here is a screen shot of it. The problem is it even if there is 2 lines in that field it still doesnt bring the remainding text below it up. Here is a screenshot

• 3. Re: Auto Resize!!!
              philmodjunk

Check out Item #3 in my list.

Is the text you've added to the layout's leading grand summary part  to label your columns of fields in the body also set to slide up and resize?

• 4. Re: Auto Resize!!!
                melshamamyan

Got it! Thank you!