1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2014 11:21 AM by photowyzard

Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?

photowyzard

Title

Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?

I am writing a module to manage Passwords for a number of multiple servers and I am stumped by what is probably a simple problem.  Here is my simple database:

5 Fields:

IP Address      Server        MODULE Name              Employee             Password

- IP is a drop down with a list of 4 servers

- Server is a CASE statement based the result of IP Address selected, auto entered

MODULE Name <---- this is the one I am having issue with.

- 4 Servers each with their own Value List of Filemaker Solutions Modules, some similarly named, some different

The value list has to be unique to each server based on the server selected

I would like the Value List to be automatically selected when the Server is selected and then a drop down list is opened for selection.

Example;

If Servers are Called  Server A, Server B, Server C, Server D

and

Associated Value Lists are Called

Value List A, Value List B, Value List C, Value List D

When Server C is selected, I would like the associated Value List C to populate the Module Name field Selection.

Is this possible? 

I need to have unique 4 Value Lists.  If so, how would you set this up? Never tried this before.

• 1. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
          MarcMcCall

I would almost set up a table to contain the Module Names in records. Then set the relationship up so when the Server  is selected that changes the relationship of records. Build your value list so that it on shows related values.

• 2. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
            philmodjunk

I'm with Marc here, but you keep using the term "value list" here and that has me wondering if I am correctly understanding you.

If you select "server C", does this select for a single value in Module name or a group of values?

Sounds like for a given server, you have multiple modules and you want to limit the list of modules to only those specific to that server.

If so, we call this a conditional value list. I have a few links on the subject: wink

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12 or later, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in your version of FileMaker.

The next to last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list and the very last link is a fairly new addition that describes how to use ExecuteSQL to produce conditional value lists that aren't easily possible with the other methods described here.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Using ExecuteSQL to produce a conditional value list: Using ExecuteSQL to Produce a Conditional Value List

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 3. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
              photowyzard

Marc and Phil, thanks for your responses.

Phil, you are correct in your assessment and yes, Conditional Value Lists sounds what I am looking for.  I was hoping to set up 4 specific lists based on which server is selected.  Each List can be from 12 to 20 Selections based on what modules are on the server.

Each server has many identical and different modules.  The Development Server, for example, can have different versions of the same module, based on what work is being performed.  So, the Value List of options on DEV would be substantially greater than what you would find in the Production server.

Thanks, I will read the links you have provided and update if I have resolved the problem.

• 4. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
                MarcMcCall

This definitely sounds like you would be best setting up a new table to contain records for all of your modules.

You would need two fields Server and Module.
                     Server would be the match field to the original layout and upon selecting the server from a the original layout would then relate all records of modules with that server in the server field. Your conditional Value list would be to only show related values via this relationship.

Then you could also make the server field on the new table a value list to show all values.

• 5. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
                  philmodjunk

Yep, you can have one table and each value list can be from a different set of records in that table.

• 6. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
                    photowyzard

As a learning experience, I will do it both ways.  Thanks.  Have been busy with meetings all today, no time to do this.  I will confirm Monday which worked best.  Both are good options, thanks, greatly appreciate your input. 

• 7. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
                      photowyzard

I tried this quickly, getting ready to leave for the weekend.

I have the two tables set up.  The value list is configured, 4 servers and the modules for each server.  The relationship works.

However, only modules from one server pop up currently. This is as far as I have gotten.

• 8. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
                        philmodjunk

You'll need to explain your set up in more detail. "Only the modules from one server" would seem the correct result if you are selecting a server in the server field and then seeing only the modules for that server in the drop down list for the module field.

If you mean that when you select any other server, you don't see any modules, then you need to check relationships and the data in the related table.

Please note that "option 1" is not a good option to use for this type of conditional value list so you should not create any calculation fields to try and get this to work.

• 9. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
                          photowyzard

OK, here is a sample of the relationship.  Simple db.

1 have four servers, lets just call them

Server 1

Server 2

Server 3

Server 4

Each server has FMP13 db modules say 10 on each server.

Each server has a name and an IP address.

What I want to do is choose the server..... SERVER 3 lets say.

Server 3 has a UNIQUE set of db modules on it.  Lets say it is our DEVELOPMENT server.  I want to have a pop up window automatically open with ONLY the DEVELOPMENT modules on that server show for selection.

We are keeping track of ADMIN people and Passwords with this simple database.

• 10. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
                            philmodjunk

Which means that you need a table of Modules with one record for each module and a field to identify the Server. That table would need to be linked to the PasswordControl table shown in your screen Shot. The Server table that you show doesn't hold the correct data to serve as the source of values for a list of Modules.

• 11. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
                              photowyzard

Is there an issue with the forum today.... 5 attempts to make this post, each time, no permission to post! angry (finally posted! :) )

What I have done:

Created a new TO as advised.

What works:

Server Field populates from pull down.

IP address properly populates based on Server selected

The Module Drop Down window is PROPERLY populated with the correct list of modules that correspond to what is in the Specified Server.

What DOESN'T work:

If I have 5 records created for say, the DEV server, each record should show a different module in the Module Field, as selected(or they could be the same, if that is what is selected). What is happening is, when I make a selection from the drop down, ALL FIVE FIELDS populate identically.

In other words, if the modules selected are Training, Library, Contractor, Equipment, Incidents..... what shows in all five fields is, say, Contractor...or what ever it is you select last. All the fields change to the same value after each selection.

What did I miss. Thanks,

• 12. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
                                philmodjunk

Yes, there is an issue and it's much worse than ever. See: Has this happened to you? Logged out and comment lost

I strongly advise all users to copy their messages to the clipboard just before clicking Post Answer.

With regards to your question, it sounds like you have the wrong field formatted with the conditional value list. I would guess that you are selecting a value in a field from the related table and thus changing the value in the related table instead of in the layout's table causes this change to appear in all records that link to that same related record.

• 13. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
                                  photowyzard

Phil,

Thanks, you are correct, fixed it... works perfectly.

PS:  Had to sign in again to post this! This is a mess at my end.

• 14. Re: Auto Select a VALUE LIST from Result..POSSIBLE?
                                    philmodjunk

And here. Copying before posting is the only thing keeping me sane at this point. (And imagine the extra aggravation in posting feed back or an Issue Report where you have enter text into multiple text boxes instead of a single Post A New Answer box. angry)

1 2 Previous Next