3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2013 12:04 PM by philmodjunk

Auto update 46" display with work load via FM GO and FM PRO

AlejandroGidi

Title

Auto update 46" display with work load via FM GO and FM PRO

Hi guys.  Inquiry for the gurus...

We need to create a system what will display a work order on a 46" LCD display mounted on a wall.  (PC FMPRO kiosk mode?)

The work orders are going to be created, and closed, from an iPad with Go,  the average work order life is 2~5mins.

(much like a restaurant scenario, but no food involved :)  )

The work orders on the display need to appear after the ipad creates them, several orders will be opened at the same time, piling up in the screen/display.  The work order is a bunch of containers with photos and names of the items involved.

There is no particular order for closing the work orders. A smaller work order can finish before than a larger one posted earlier.

I would like the orders to slide in, or pile up, or pile down, when they are created and closed.

No fancy animations required, but a simple table/spreadsheet view is not viable.

One my coders doubts it can be done in FM, because you need to change records back and forth  to see a change.

Is there a way to auto update the display? ideas comments and suggestions are always welcomed.

We really want to do this in FM, as we need PC/Mac IOS compatibility.

thanks!

• 1. Re: Auto update 46" display with work load via FM GO and FM PRO
          philmodjunk

A looping script or Install Timer Script can be used to update the display every few seconds. I'd suggest more but these two statements:

would like the orders to slide in, or pile up, or pile down, when they are created and closed.

No fancy animations required, but a simple table/spreadsheet view is not viable.

leave me scratching my head as to what exactly you want to see on that monitor. "pile up" is a might vague...

• 2. Re: Auto update 46" display with work load via FM GO and FM PRO
            AlejandroGidi

I hope this helps 

http://screencast.com/t/9n1yh1LwX

Image a 46" LCD with a PC FM PRO in some sort of kiosk mode. Receving the oders form the iPad. 

When a new order comes in, it adds itself to the display incoming from the right, .. when an order is completed, is dissapears and they just fill in the blanks in the order they arrived.

• 3. Re: Auto update 46" display with work load via FM GO and FM PRO
              philmodjunk

Such images can be included as part of your posts if you use the Upload an Image Controls below Post A Answer.

Yes, this can be done in FileMaker. A horizontal portal can display all pending orders with the oldest order on the far left and new orders appearing on the right. And a looping script or Install OnTimer Script can refresh the screen to show changes on regular intervals.

A horizontal portal is really a row of one row portals where the first portal is set to show "initial row: 1" and the second is set to show "initial row: 2" and so forth.

The portal relationship can be based on a calculation field that matches to a status field in the order record. When the user changes the value in that field (can be done with a single click or "tap"), the next screen update drops that record out of the portal and the newer order records will "slide over".