2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 7:48 PM by KeithBuckley

Auto Update Children

KeithBuckley

Title

Auto Update Children

Hey Team,

I'm building an asset database and I'm after some pointers on automatically updating child records. The DB is a single table with a self-refernce. For example: We provide a cabinet (OCAB) and inside it can sit a monitor module (OMON). To track our products we assign everything a unique internal ID and have a "Linked" field.  What I'm wanting to automate is the following scenario:
           ID000001 is an OCAB and is not currently assigned a Project.
           ID000002 is an OMON is linked to ID000001 and not assigned to a Project
           A new order comes in and ID000001 is assigned to a new project but I have to manually update ID000002

This is annoying at present because we also sell frames with <21 swappable cards that are all linked to the parent.

The database is largely based on the Assets starter solution but I've dropped some fields and added relevant ones.

Any pointers would be appreciated as google searches turn up nothing 

Cheers
           Keith

• 1. Re: Auto Update Children
          davidanders

You have Projects, Frames, Cabinets and Cards? All are in one Table?

It would seem Projects would be one table.  Unsure how the others relate?

All Projects have a Cabinet? All Cabinets have Cards? All Frames have ?????

The first five links are likely to be useful.

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/f6ed4be796?commentId=222931#222931

• 2. Re: Auto Update Children
            KeithBuckley

Thanks for the links! *bookmarks* I'm sure they'll be useful!

Because I'm just wanting to use the DB for asset tracking I have all the different types of assets in one table.  The only other table I've implemented is one to ensure valid devices are added to the main table.  As 'Projects' is just a text field (I don't need to store anything else about the project other than it's name) I haven't given it a table because it would be a single field table - to validate this I've set the DB to offer a drop-down of existing values and to throw a confirmation-error when adding a new project.

Do you know of any scripts, functions or calculations that would allow me to, for example, update the value of child records when a parent is modified?