AnsweredAssumed Answered

Auto-enter

Question asked by EricWang on Aug 21, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 21, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Auto-enter

Hi, I'm trying to create a database for Mouse Colony Management. 

I have one table, "Mouse Records", with fields, "Animal ID, Genotype, DOB, Status" etc. 

I have another table specifically for "Breeding Records". It's got many fields that are the same as the first table. It has "Animal ID, Genotype, DOB, Status". It also has other fields that I need specifically for breeding dates and genotype crosses. 

I was wonder how would I automate "add a new record" into the Breeding Records table by using values from the fields in the Mouse Records table? 

Essentially what I want to do is to be in the Breeding Records layout, click add new record, enter in the "Animal ID" and somehow the database goes to the Mouse Records table. looks for the record that has the same value as the one I just entered in the Breeding sheets "Animal ID" field, takes all the values in fields of that specific record that are the same as the ones in the breeding record, and auto-populate them. 

This way, every time I add a new Breeding Record, I wouldn't have to retype all the information that's already present in another table. 

Outcomes