AnsweredAssumed Answered

Auto-Enter confusion

Question asked by Matty_1 on Jul 22, 2013
Latest reply on Jul 22, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Auto-Enter confusion

Hello,

I'm having issues correctly understanding how exactly auto-enter calculations work and don't work.  Based on what I've read in other posts, my current setup should work but it's not producing the results I'm looking for.

My first question is: From what I've read, as long as I uncheck the "Do not replace existing value of field (if any)" the calculation field will act like any calculation field and not simply calculate when a new record is created.  Is that the case?  If so, can this calculation call upon other fields in a different table?

I currently have two tables, a purchase table and a backbone dispatch table.  When a new purchase record is created a script automatically creates a backbone dispatch record and copy pastes the purchase serial ID into a match field in the dispatch table creating the link.  What I would like to have is an auto-enter calculation field that verifies (or keeps and eye on) a field in the dispatch table and matches whatever is in that field.  Should that ever change I want it to copy it over without using triggers.  Is that something I can do with auto-enter?

Outcomes