AnsweredAssumed Answered

Auto-Enter number in range and go back to beginning of range when maximum is reached

Question asked by HollisBrown on Apr 2, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 3, 2013 by HollisBrown

Title

Auto-Enter number in range and go back to beginning of range when maximum is reached

Hi

I can tell that this is a possible but I just don't know enough about FileMaker to implement it.

We have boxes with positions 1-81 in them. Each individual record gets two slots in the box. We've been entering the data manually until now in three different fields- Box Field, Position 1 Field and Position 2 Field. I would like to automate this. 

So let's say that the last record has Box Field as 18, Position 1 Fields as 66 and Position 2 Field as 67. When I click on New Record I would like the Box Field to stay as 18, Position 1 to update to 68 and Position 2 to update to 69. I can get this to work with Auto-Enter: Serial Number and Validation: In range.

The problem occurs when the last record has positions 80 and 81. I would like the new record to increase the box number by one to 19 and for the position to return to 1 and 2.

A couple of caveats. I would like to implement this system on a database that already has these positions filled for many records and want to update them only for new records. Also, sometimes Position 1 reaches 81 first and sometimes Position 2 reaches 81 first so they both have to know when to return to 1.

I'm guessing that I have to link all these fields together somehow. Any help in getting this to work would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hollis

Outcomes