1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2010 2:30 PM by philmodjunk

auto-enter receipt numbers

AussiePete

Title

auto-enter receipt numbers

I am very inexperienced at this whole database thing. This is the first time I have been responsible at setting up a database. We are using Apple Macs with the snow leopard O/S. The database is being shared online through a online sharing utility. We are using Filemaker pro 10.

The database is a contact list with around 30000 entries. We have recorded names, addresses, email, history etc.

We are a non-profit organization that can issue tax receipts.

I am trying to setup a layout that we can use as a tax receipt. That way all the address details will be there automatically.

I have tried to setup an auto-enter receipt number but can't seem to get it to work. I used the "manage database" and set the field up as a number with "auto-enter Serial, Always Validate". Nothing comes up in the field.

I would like a new, unique, sequential number to show whenever that field is selected.

Am I able to do that? 

• 1. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
          philmodjunk
             New sequential serial numbers will appear when a new record is created, not when the field is selected. What happens when you select "new record" from the records menu?
          • 2. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
            AussiePete

Thanks Phil

If I select new record in the tax receipt layout only the date is auto-entered. However, if I select new record in the mailing list layout then switch to the tax receipt layout the serial number and the date are auto entered. Hmmmf!

Is there a way of adding a unique sequential number to an existing record in a different layout or will I need to set up a related database that uses the address info in the mailing list? Can that be done?

• 3. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
              philmodjunk

"if I select new record in the mailing list layout then switch to the tax receipt layout the serial number and the date are auto entered. "

It sounds like you have one table for your mailing list layout and one table for your tax receipt layout. The serial number field is likely a field that is defined in the mailing list table but has been added to the tax receipt layout and displays data from a related mailing list record.

"Is there a way of adding a unique sequential number to an existing record in a different layout "

There are any number of ways. Whether you should do this is an entirely different question that needs to be considered carefully. Keep in mind that records don't belong to "layouts" they are part of a table. The data in one table might be displayed in any number of different layouts in your database.

I can't really tell you much more than that as I have no idea how your database is designed. The different tables and how they are related to each other will determine what "best" answer to give you here.

• 4. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
                AussiePete

Thank for your patience at my ignorance Phil!

Here goes 

In the "Manage Database for The Main contact list" window, under the "Tables" tab there is "1 table defined in this file".

The "Table Name" is The Main contact list, "Source" is filemaker, Details are; 29 fields, 33907 records, "Occurrences in Graph" The Main contact List.

In the same window under the "Fields" tab there is only 1 table with 29 fields listed. 

Under the "Relationships" tab, I have "The Main contact list" related to "The Main contact list history" by a codename.

The "Main Contact list history" is another database (I think) that we use to track each persons activity; email & physical address changes mostly, how we received the information and who made the changes.

Am I on the right track with this?

• 5. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
                  davidanders

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&thread.id=35511

This is sorta of a test, your request for information, seems to need a screencapture of your database.

The above information SHOULD provide the necessary info to do this.

If not, please post a detailed "why I could not" post, thank you. 

• 6. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
                    philmodjunk

More info that you can share:

1. Enter layout mode and go to the tax receipt layout. Select layout setup... what table occurrence name do you see in the "show records from" box?
                    2. Make the same check with your mailing list layout and report what table occurrence is referenced for this layout.
                    3. Double click your serial number field while in layout mode and report the table occurrence name and field name that shows in the dialog that pops up.
                    4. Find that field in Manage | Database | Fields and double-click it to check its auto-enter field options. What are they?
                    • 7. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
                      AussiePete

Thanks for your suggestion David. I am a little hesitant to show screenshots of our database to the world wide web. While most people will take no notice of the information, some will and I don't want to compromise our members trust. I would have to edit out parts to ensure that. So for the moment I will continue with a text dialogue.

Thanks anyway!

• 8. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
                        AussiePete

1. Enter layout mode and go to the tax receipt layout. Select layout setup... what table occurrence name do you see in the "show records from" box?                                                    It states "show records from: Main Contact List"                 
                        2. Make the same check with your mailing list layout and report what table occurrence is referenced for this layout.                                                                                              The answer is the same as the tax receipt layout "show records from: Main Contact List"
                        3. Double click your serial number field while in layout mode and report the table occurrence name and field name that shows in the dialog that pops up.                                             The "Field/Control Setup dialogue comes up. "Control style - Display as 'Edit Box' ". "Display Data from: Current Table("Main contact list")  
                        4. Find that field in Manage | Database | Fields and double-click it to check its auto-enter field options. What are they?                                                                                             In the - Options for the field "Receipt number", Serial number is checked; Generate; On Commit is selected; next value is; 5002 increment by; 1.                                          Nothing else in that dialogue is checked/selected.
                        • 9. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
                          AussiePete

Arrgh! That did not come out the way I had hoped. Try this!

1.  It states "show records from: Main Contact List"

2.The answer is the same as the tax receipt layout "show records from: Main Contact List" 

3. The "Field/Control Setup dialogue comes up. "Control style - Display as 'Edit Box' ". "Display Data from: Current Table("Main contact list")  

3. n the - Options for the field "Receipt number", Serial number is checked; Generate; On Commit is selected; next value is; 5002 increment by; 1. Nothing else in that dialogue is checked/selected.

• 10. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
                            philmodjunk

"On Commit is selected"

That's the key to explaining what you describe. Going back to your first posts:

"If I select new record in the tax receipt layout only the date is auto-entered. However, if I select new record in the mailing list layout then switch to the tax receipt layout the serial number and the date are auto entered. "

Think of committing record as saving the changes you've made back to your database. When you create a new record no new serial number is assigned to the new record until you commit it. Switching layouts is one way to trigger the commit and hence the serial number generation. You should see the same thing happen if you create a new record ineither layout and then click on a blank part of your layout as that also triggers the record commit.

If you want the serial number to automatically appear every time a new record is created regardless of whether it has yet been committed, change the "on Commit" option to "On Creation". Note that if you are sharing this database amongst several users over the network, this change might affect the function of your database, so do some testing if you change this setting.

• 11. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
                              AussiePete

OK thanks Phil. That works for a new record.

However, I am trying to add a serial/receipt number to an existing table in a different layout. Am I going about this the wrong way? 

Should I be creating another database for tax receipts. If so, how do I tell the tax receipt database to use the address information in the mailing list database I already have?
                              Sorry to be a pain with all this!   
                              • 12. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
                                philmodjunk

If you want each tax receipt to have a unique sequential serial number, then a separate table sounds like the best option. You can include an ID field to link each receipt to a given contact. This will also enable you to issue multiple receipts to the same donor for separate donations.

Your separate table could record the amount donated, date, serial ID#, contactID and any other data unique to a specific donation.

• 13. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
                                  AussiePete

Sigh! 

I have setup a new table called tax receipts. I tried to create relationships to the contact list using the "Manage Database - Relationships" dialogue. I set up relationships with "Codename, Surname, Name, Address, City, State, Postcode, and Country. I also created a "Lookup for Field" on each of the fields using the "Options for Field" dialogue.

These fields are all used in the Contact List database and I am trying to get them to auto-enter into the tax receipt table.

In the Contact List I can search on any one of these fields, but I can't get them to show in the Tax Receipt.    

Please help? 

• 14. Re: auto-enter receipt numbers
                                    philmodjunk

Whoa there and back up a bit! :smileywink:

You're over complicating the process by quite a bit.

Set up your relationship like this:

Main Contact List::YourSerialNumberField = TaxRecipts::ContactID

(Use your names for these two fields, just make sure YourSerialNumberField is an auto-entered serial number that uniquely identifies each contact record.)

Enable "Allow creation of records via this relationship" for TaxReceipts. (double click the line linking the two table occurrences.)

That's all you need to link the two tables.

I'd place a portal to TaxReceipts on a layout based on Main Contact List. That way I can start filling in the data for a new receipt simply by entering the date and amount type information into TaxReceipts fields placed in this portal. Entering data in the bottom blank row of such a portal will automatically create a new record with the right number entered into the ContactID field.

Get that working and then we'll worry about whether you want to look up data from the Main Contact List or simply reference the fields in Main Contact List and how to print a receipt from a different layout if you need to do that.

1 2 Previous Next