3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2014 8:54 AM by philmodjunk

Auto-enter search criteria

TomGrasmeyer

Title

Auto-enter search criteria

We are a print shop using Filemaker to manage our job dockets. We put our dockets into series. So we have jobs 0001a - 9999a, then a new series 0001b - 9999b, 0001 - 9999c, and so on. We are currently in ‘d’ series, and will be for the next 2 or so years. There are reasons for why we do this that I won’t get into here.

Our Filemaker database manages this with two fields:

•           docket_number (range 0001 - 9999, not unique)
      •      
      •           docket_series (a, b, c, or d…eventually moving up through the alphabet)

The records are given a separate, unique numerical identifier for the purposes of relationships (separate field, used only by Filemaker).

If we enter ‘FIND’ mode and search for docket ‘1234’ without filling out ‘d’ in the docket series field we’ll get four returns. We’ll get docket 1234A, 1234B, 1234C, and 1234D. I want to be able to have that ‘docket_series’ field automatically populate with a ‘d’ every time we enter ‘Find’ mode. When we get to ‘E’ in a few years, I’ll want it to automatically enter ‘e’. This way our users don’t have to constantly remember to enter a ‘d’ when they search, but they could also change this to ‘C’ or “A' if that’s actually what they are looking for. Is this possible?

We have Filemaker running on our Mac server, all users in the shop access it using Safari (web sharing).

• 1. Re: Auto-enter search criteria
          philmodjunk

How do you manage the change over to the next letter of your docket_series.

If we can figure out a simple way to determine the current docket series, we can set up a scripted find where the user specifies the series while in browse mode. The find script would then check for a letter as the last character and supply the most recent docket_series value if one was not entered by the user when setting up the needed find requests.

For an advance peak at the type of script that I have in mind, see: Scripted Find Examples

• 2. Re: Auto-enter search criteria
            TomGrasmeyer

Thanks for the response. I did look at the script in the posting you referred to, and I can see the logic there…I need to declare the current docket series  in a global field. Right now it’s just auto-entering using the field’s “Auto-enter - Data” in the field definition. This won’t work…I need to build it into a ghloa The script will go and fetch that and insert it during the find script. I’ll play with this.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Auto-enter search criteria
              philmodjunk

As long as your script can determine what value is the current docket series letter, it does not necessarily need to put in in a global field. Global fields are used in the example scripts as a way to collect user input which is then still accessible to the script when it switches to find mode. It can find the value and put it in a variable when the value is not something manually specified by the user.