3 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2010 12:31 PM by mrvodka

Auto-enter text values

yoelcita

Title

Auto-enter text values

I have a sponsorship database in which want to create a field ("Status") that auto-enters one of three text values ("current", "ahead" or "behind") based on the number of an unstored calculation field ("Months").

1. If "Months" is 0, "Status" field auto-enters "current"

2. If "Months" is greater than 0, "Status" field auto-enters "ahead"

3. If "Months" is less than 0, "Status" field auto-enters "behind"

Is this possible, and if so how can I script this?

I'm using Pro 10 on Mac OS X, and am still a novice.  Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: Auto-enter text values
          philmodjunk

I don't see why you need a script for this.

In  Manage Database FIelds, you can double click the field definition for status to bring up it's field options. Click the auto-enter tab and select the by calculation option to enter this expression:

Case ( Months = 0 ; "Current" ; Months > 0 ; "Ahead" ; "Behind" )

You'll probably also need to clear the "do not replace existing value..." check box.

• 2. Re: Auto-enter text values
            yoelcita

Thanks, that did it!  It seems so simple, but I'm simply clueless!  :)

• 3. Re: Auto-enter text values
              mrvodka

I dont see how this is going to matter if you are using a Get ( CurrentDate ) for your months calculation. The auto-enter wouldn't update at all unless your calculation references a static field that that field value is updated. Perhaps you can explain how the "Months" calculation field is derived.