3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2012 8:29 AM by philmodjunk

AUTO-ENTERING VALUES BASED ON LAST RECORD

MaxwellRobin

Title

AUTO-ENTERING VALUES BASED ON LAST RECORD

Hi All!

i have a table that tracks spot light movements and changes for theatrical productinons.

there are 8 "spots" across the layout and each new record goes down as time progresses in sequence

i am trying to create a script that can see what is entered in the last field and then make a decision to auto enter another piece of text depending on what the previous value is. i can send more information and images if this is pausible.

thank you!

• 1. Re: AUTO-ENTERING VALUES BASED ON LAST RECORD
          philmodjunk

There are auto-enter calculations that can do this--no script needed.

GetNthRecord can be used to refer to a value in the previous field:

If ( Get ( RecordNumber ) > 1 ; GetNthRecord ( FieldName ; Get ( RecordNumber ) - 1 ) )

• 2. Re: AUTO-ENTERING VALUES BASED ON LAST RECORD
            MaxwellRobin

so it looks like this should work but i just want to be a little more clear to make sure of it.

here is an example:

the first record has "Full" in the Spots::Action field

when i create the next record it auto enters "Maintain" into the Spots::Action field

when i create the next record it auto enters "Maintain" into the Spots::Action field

if i change "Maintain" in this third record to "Fade Out"

when i create the next record it auto enters "Off" into the Spots::Action field

will this still work?

there are some more combinations like this but this is one example

thank you!

• 3. Re: AUTO-ENTERING VALUES BASED ON LAST RECORD
              philmodjunk

It should, as long as each new record appears after the previous record in the found set. There are specified sort - order, auto-enter combinations that can result in new records appearing elsewhere in the found set--such as the very first record. But with unsorted records, this should not be an issue.