2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 9:03 AM by jurodj

Auto-populating fields in a portal from another table

EricGreisdorf

Title

Auto-populating fields in a portal from another table

I have a static data table (table 1) and I am trying to figure out how to auto-populate a separate table (table 2) in a portal with information from table 1. Simple example: table one has names and addresses. In table 2, if I select a name (John) from table 1 using a dropdown list I want his address to automatically populate in table 2.

• 1. Re: Auto-populating fields in a portal from another table
          philmodjunk

Where does the portal come in with that scenario? The presence of a portal implies a third table.

The Invoices starter solution can be examined as a working example of how this can be set up. There's a table to Products that stores a price for each product. And records in the Invoice data table lookup (copy) the price when a matching record is created in Invoice Data. This is done on a layout for Invoices that has a portal to Invoice Data.

So the first step in your problem is setting up the needed relationships. Do you have relationships in place linking the two tables? What relationship did you set up? What match fields did you use?

• 2. Re: Auto-populating fields in a portal from another table
            jurodj

It seems that no one knows how to do this or never has done something like this.

What we want to know is (besides of relationships) how to autopopulate a field based in a selection dropdown list made in another field.

I have the same problem. I am inserting a picture to illustrate what I mean so you may help us with this situation.

Captura de pantalla 2015-12-02 a las 12.52.00 PM.png

Hope you can see the image  properly.

Regards,