2 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2012 11:24 PM by JUANDAVIDGIL

Autocalculation, lookup, set fields, brings just one word of a text value

JUANDAVIDGIL

Title

Autocalculation, lookup, set fields, brings just one word of a text value

I have been trying to bring from a price list table some of the fields into a table that gathers all the quoted items.  Since I need to be flexible on the items details, I rather copy the value of the list price into the table than just show the information straight from the price list.

I however, dont konw how to do it, as all the different approaches I have tried, they all bring just the very first word of the original text.

So If in the price list I have a column called: Description, a registry would have a descripction of the item: "TV set of 42 inches..." and so on and so forth.

When I lookup from that table, to paste the contents on the lineitems table (the table that grabs all the quoted items), it just returns "TV"

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Autocalculation, lookup, set fields, brings just one word of a text value
          philmodjunk

If "TV set of 42 inches..." is the text in a single field, I don't see how it is possible for you to only get the first word.

Invoicing system usually are based on this set of tables and relationships:

Customers---<Invoices----<LineItems>-----ProductsAndOrServices

The match fields for Line items to ProductsAndOrServices should be:

LineItems::ProductID = ProductsAndOrServices::ProductID

For fields such where you want to copy the data from ProductsAndOrServices into a corresponding field in LineItems, you'd go to Manage | Database | Fields, find the field in the LineItems table and double click it to open field options. There, you click the auto enter tab and select the looked up value option. In that dialog you can select first the ProductsAndOrServices table occurrence and then you select the field in that table that contains the data you want to copy. When the Data in PRoductID is modified or entered, the complete contents of this specified field will be copied over into the field in LineItems.

In the case of the product description field as you describe in your initial post, make sure both the field in Products and the field in LineItems are of type text.

• 2. Re: Autocalculation, lookup, set fields, brings just one word of a text value
            JUANDAVIDGIL

Thank you.  It was my mistake, never the less, thank you.  I was actually referring to a hidden field on the table that has almost the same name, so, the outcome was it was expected, but not what I was expecting, and was killing me.