8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 12:16 PM by storywizard

Autocomplete function

storywizard

Title

Autocomplete function

Hello again:

I am trying to use the auto complete function. It looks like you cannot use a calculation field in that way, am I right? For instance I have Personnel first and last names in a calculation field to make a complete name and wanted to have it complete when I typed the first name into the field...

Is there any aother way around this other than tying in all the complete names of the personnel? There are over 300 of them..

Storywizard

• 1. Re: Autocomplete function
          philmodjunk

I'm not sure I understand your post.

"For instance I have Personnel first and last names in a calculation field to make a complete name and wanted to have it complete when I typed the first name into the field..."

You can't type data directly into a calculation field, only into the fields that it references. Is this an auto-entered calculation or is the calculation field being used as the specified source for a value list?

If the second situation is what you meant, then this should work as long as your calculation field returns text and is a stored, indexed field.

• 2. Re: Autocomplete function
            storywizard

whew!

OK: I have a portal on a table that references personnel names from a personnel table. The personnel names are initially entered as first and last names and then a calculation field is set up on the personnel table layout to display the full name on the personnel layout. That field is then displayed in the portal on another layout. I was trying to see if I could auto complete the full name of the personnel using the calculation field that I have in the portal. 

I hope that is clear, not sure, end of the day brain...

thanks for the reply...

Storywizard

• 3. Re: Autocomplete function
              philmodjunk

"I was trying to see if I could auto complete the full name of the personnel ..."

How are you trying to set this up?

Is this a text field that is formatted with a value list of names drawn from the full name calculation field?

On a design note, it's usually better not to enter such data twice in two different tables. It's easier to maintain your data if you keep your names in your personnel table and use relational links to display that field where needed.

• 4. Re: Autocomplete function
                storywizard

Hello:

Is this a text field that is formatted with a value list of names drawn from the full name calculation field?

Yes , the field is text, on a portal

On a design note, it's usually better not to enter such data twice in two different tables. It's easier to maintain your data if you keep your names in your personnel table and use relational links to display that field where needed.

Yes, that is what I have...

The way I have it set up when I try to enter the name in the portal an error massage appears saying the field cannot be modified. That makes sense as it is a calculation field. It feels so close to being right...

thanks for your help...

Storywizard

• 5. Re: Autocomplete function
                  philmodjunk

Please describe your two tables (You layout specified one and your portal the other) and the relationship that links them.

I'm having trouble picturing what you are trying to do here. It reads like you want store first and last names in a table, concatenate them in a calculation field, but then be able to enter the full name in that same calculation field--which makes no sense at all.

• 6. Re: Autocomplete function
                    storywizard

I think you have just said what I was thinking...that trying to enter into a calculation field just does not work...so I will do what I need another way...

thanks...

Storywizard...

• 7. Re: Autocomplete function
                      philmodjunk

That's where I was trying to lead you :smileywink:

In a lot of cases, you can define a two column value list where column one is a primary key field in the related table and column two is a label field such as your calculated full name field. The user selects a name, but the database stores the value from column one.

• 8. Re: Autocomplete function
                        storywizard

That is what I had originally done, but I have not got it looking pretty like I wanted, which was leading me to try other things...

Thanks again..

Storywizard