3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 10:13 AM by etripoli

Autofill from one database to another

ksproul

Title

Autofill from one database to another

I have been using Filemaker since version 1.0. But I have never used many of the advanced features. I am currently using FMP 8 and am upgrading to 10 shortly.

I would like to be able to fill data in on one database, then have a button that copies specific fields from that database and creates a new record in another database, filling in the specified fields.  Basically this would be like doing copy/paste but from 8 or so fields at once. I do not want these as two 'tables' in the same database, they are actually different and seperate databases.

Thanks

Keith Sproul

• 1. Re: Autofill from one database to another
          mrvodka

Option 1: You can create a relationship and use lookups.

Option 2: You can create a layout based on the table occurrence of the table from your second file, and set the values into variables from your first table, go to the new layout you created, and set the fields with the variable values.

• 2. Re: Autofill from one database to another
            ksproul
               Thanks

I would like to go with Option 1: You can create a relationship and use lookups.

Can you explain how to do that? I have played with it unsuccessfully.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Autofill from one database to another
              etripoli
                 Start by setting up a relationship between two tables, based on regular number or text fields.  For a lookup to work best, the relationship needs to be a many-to-one, or one-to-one, i.e. many (or one) records in the table should only relate to one record in the lookup table.  Then, it's just a matter of check the Lookup option for a field, selected the table to lookup from, and the field that contains the value you want.