AnsweredAssumed Answered

Autofill Keywords

Question asked by DavidMoore_1 on Sep 12, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 by DavidMoore_1

Title

Autofill Keywords

Hi Guys

I'm very new to Filemaker (we are trialing it as a possible solution for some data capture we need). I'm attempting to build a database with details of scenes from 20+ films. 

We've set up a text box for keywords which we are comma separating. What I would like to do is set up the database so I'm offered suggestions of previous keywords as I work. Due to the variety I'm going to end up with hundreds of different keywords but I would like to check consistency with those that have already been used and ideally save time with automatic suggestions once I start typing. (In the future others may input data so it would be helpful to establish acceptable keywords)

Is this possible without creating a huge drop down menu?

I've been working on this issue all morning and have seen other posts suggesting creating a keyword table but I don't understand how to manage the relationship between that and my main table. My ideal scenario is one where I type a keyword into my movie database, if it has been used before I get a suggestion as I type. If it hasn't it is then added to the list of future suggestions.

Apologies if this is a basic question but any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks

Dave

Outcomes