4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2009 9:57 AM by fjordseeker

autofilling data into MS Word for use in printing

fjordseeker

Title

autofilling data into MS Word for use in printing

in the demo i saw something about exporting a record from FMP to MS word for printing and generating letters, invoices etc with selected record (address) filled in automatically. i cannot find anything in the help on "autofill" so turn to the forum. can someone help me figure out or point me to where i can learn about how to make autofill work with MS Word docs?

many thx 

• 1. Re: autofilling data into MS Word for use in printing
          TSGal

fjordseeker:

Thank you for your post.

It has been awhile since I used Microsoft Word, but when I performed a mail merge, I used what was called a data document that contained the merge information.  When exporting from FileMaker Pro, use the "Merge" option, and this creates a Word data document for mail merge.

Can anyone else confirm?  It has been 10+ years.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: autofilling data into MS Word for use in printing
            fjordseeker
               Hi TSGal technically it doesn't HAVE to be MSWord, just need to get nicely formated letters or invoices printed from the CRM contents when required via autofill...
            • 3. Re: autofilling data into MS Word for use in printing
              davidanders

You have a lot of control within Filemaker as to printed output, if you are talking one or multiple printouts, you may find Filemaker can do most anything Word can do.

(this depends on your printer, OS (Mac or Win) and several other items) (specifying your OS, printer, and network can help in providing an accurate answer)

• 4. Re: autofilling data into MS Word for use in printing
                fjordseeker

thx dave,

i thought a lot about this given fmp's 'global' control it would be nice to achieve the following:

- add a page to my layout (tab) where i can select from 1-3 variations of print (e.g. invoice, letter, label) 

- call up a record (customer in my CRM db) go to this docs page and select one of the options (via button?) 

- this opens a new template where the customer's address and name (dear "customer_name") are autofilled inserted.

- the template(s) should have a field where i can write some text. in the case of an invoice a table (like in MSWord) where i can add itemized products and an amount which gets added together at the bottom, tax calculated also.

- also a way perhaps to click a global option where said letter is composed simultaneously for all items (customers) i have filtered (say 50 customers) from the db.

is this possible? where can i find maybe a tutorial or some info on how to create this?

we will be using this in a small office network, comprising of an imac (hosting the FMPdb) a macbook and an older pc & win laptop with a networked printer (canon or brother) .

many thx 

>> i have been playing with creating various layouts and realize now it's as easy as creating a layout for each letter or invoice directly in fmp which has some quite satisfactory layout tools btw.

cheers