AnsweredAssumed Answered

Autofilters like excel

Question asked by Vicky on Jan 2, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 7, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Autofilters like excel

Hi,

Is there any way to create autofilters like excel's where a user can start filtering in any field. After the first filter, all the other fields show the related information and users can choose to narrow the results even more by filtering the other fields.  Users can also broaden the results by removing the filters from the fields they want.

For example, if I were to classify plants by type, color, and name

Fields - records

type - fruit, leaf, tubers, stem, stem

color - purple, green, orange, yellow, red, light green

name - spinach, lettuce, carrot, eggplant, cherry, tomato, potato, asparagus, napa cabbage

In excel I would be able to start filtering in any of the three fields.  

If I choose the color green, I would get 

type                     color                     name
                    leaf                     green                     spinach
                    leaf                     green                     lettuce
                    stem                     green                     asparagus

Then I can choose type leaf to narrow it down more

I can also broaden the search by removing the color filter while leaving the type filter

leaf                     light green                     napa cabbage

Is there any way to have filtering like this in filemaker?  I tried to use conditional value lists, but it does not seem as flexible since the user must filter in a certain order.

Outcomes