2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2010 12:26 PM by stuarta

automate file import to filemaker on MAC OS10.5

stuarta

Title

automate file import to filemaker on MAC OS10.5

I would like to script FMP11 (MAC OSX 10.5) to take a folder full of files and create a record to store each one in, and import the files in a batch rather than the user having to select each file to import.  I would then like FMP to read the file name and fill a label field with the file name.  Is this possible on a MAC?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: automate file import to filemaker on MAC OS10.5
          davidanders

The first five links are pretty useful

Google Search "filemaker container import folder"

http://www.google.com/search?q=filemaker+container+import+folder

• 2. Re: automate file import to filemaker on MAC OS10.5
            stuarta

Thank you for the leads.  Very useful when you have the correct terms to search for.  However, I still cannot get the batch import to work for the files I want to store.  The files originate from a lab instrument and end in *.abi.  If I do a simple insert file command the file goes in and can be recovered intact.  The import folder command will only handle text files.  I tried adding ".txt" to the end of the file use the OSX automator which worked fine, and then FM would let me import the folder nicely.  The problem was that when I pulled the file back out and knocked the extension off, I could not recover the contents of the file using the intended software (FinchTV).    This did work within the folder when I added the "txt" extension, opened with the text editor and then closed and knocked the "txt' extension off.

Any ideas for when I am using a non-standard file that I need to preserve the integrity of, but want to link them 96 at a time?

Thanks

Alan