6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 11:40 AM by UMGDI

Automate Script Using FMP 10 w/ FMS 8?

UMGDI

Title

Automate Script Using FMP 10 w/ FMS 8?

Hi. I need to automate and schedule a script within FileMaker Pro 10. Our database runs on FileMaker Server version 8. How can I setup a scheduled task to run at a set frequency that executes the FMP script?

• 1. Re: Automate Script Using FMP 10 w/ FMS 8?
          mrvodka
             You will have to use a client to act as your robot machine to perform the script. With FM10, you may be able to use a Install On Timer step but if you need to run a script lets say at 10PM every day, you can just use a local opener file that calls the script in your remote file. The local opener file could be called using a event scheduler such as Windows scheduler or iCal.
          • 2. Re: Automate Script Using FMP 10 w/ FMS 8?
            UMGDI

Thanks for the idea... the problem I'm currently having is that the script I'm attempting to automate belongs to a remote database that is password protected. On my client/robot machine, I'm attempting to run the remote script locally, but every time I try to I'm prompted for my credentials in order to open the remote database.

Is there any way that I can store my Account Name and Password when setting up the remote data source so that I'm not prompted to log in each time? Obviously, if I'm setting up a process to execute a script automatically, I don't want the process to halt because it's waiting for me to type in a password every day.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Automate Script Using FMP 10 w/ FMS 8?
              mrvodka
                 If the same account you use to log into your remote file exists in your local file and your local file opens with that account ( set under File options), then it should pass it along.
              • 4. Re: Automate Script Using FMP 10 w/ FMS 8?
                UMGDI
                   Thanks, but this doesn't seem to be working. The only username and password I can use to open the local database file is "Admin" with a blank password.
                • 5. Re: Automate Script Using FMP 10 w/ FMS 8?
                  mrvodka

You must create a user name in the local file that is the same user name as one in your remote file.

A brand new file will only have the Admin and Guest accounts as defaults. You must create a new account.

• 6. Re: Automate Script Using FMP 10 w/ FMS 8?
                    UMGDI

Ah yes, thanks. :smileyhappy:

I'm getting closer, but am now stuck on something silly... When you first run FMP, you are prompted to enter a username in a dialog. This "courtesy" prompt goes away and is never seen again after that.

However, when I log off my server and let the job run on its own, FMP won't open because it is stuck at this prompt. I believe that the system account that is always running on the box needs to log in and open FMP once so that my scheduled task that runs under the system account is never prompted again.

So close!