1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 7:26 AM by philmodjunk

Automatic creation of new records in secondary tables?

NormanBelecki

Title

Automatic creation of new records in secondary tables?

I am a new Filemaker user.

The table used to set up relationships in the Manage Database function implies (doesn’t state explicitly) that one can create a record in a related table automatically by creating one in the base table. I have been unable to make this happen without resorting to scripts and forms. I am in a situation of having ‘inherited’ a MS Access database that grew functionally obsolete and needing to clone it in Filemaker. I have little prior experience with database design and programming, and need to use the clone while I am learning how to add input and output forms and scripts, so such functionality would be very useful to me.

Is it posssible to do that without manually importing the relating field contents from the base table to the related table? If it is not, can you direct me to some reference (preferably for non-experts) that explains why this functionality is not supported so that I can intuit the logic behind Filemaker’s structure?

Thanks!

Norm

• 1. Re: Automatic creation of new records in secondary tables?
          philmodjunk

I think you have spotted the check box labeled "allow creation of records via this relationship". The key word is "allow". It makes it possible, but it's not an automatic process nor should it be as you normally do not want to create records in a related table simply by creating a record in the first (called a parent) table.

With that option enabled, You can place a portal (similar to a "sub-form" in access) to the related table on a layout based on the Parent table and you will be able to create new related records simply by entering data in the portal. FileMaker will copy the key fields from the parent to the child record for you.

While used much less often in this manner, if you place fields from the related table directly on a layout based on the parent table, this feature still enables you to create a related record, but only the first such related record can be created that way.

This is not the only way to create related records. Others method can and are often used.