1 Reply Latest reply on May 15, 2009 8:14 AM by Orlando

Automatic Default Formatting when Inputting Text and Numbers (Cut and Paste

PhilCarrier

Title

Automatic Default Formatting when Inputting Text and Numbers (Cut and Paste

I am single employee of my own medical recruitment company, just bought FM Pro 10 and still trying to figure out how it works. 

I've created a couple of files, but whenever I go, for instance, and see something from another MS Word document, or a website, and try to cut and paste that information into a record, I always have to reformat the text and numbers to fit the fields, and make it look professional.

How do I format the field in the Layout mode so that it will be done automatically, without having to go in and clean up the mess.

This is my first forum message and still trying to figure out how this all works:

Phil Carrier

philradio@gmail.com 

• 1. Re: Automatic Default Formatting when Inputting Text and Numbers (Cut and Paste
          Orlando

Hi Phil and welcome to the forum,

A quick tip is to 'Undo Type' after the 'Paste' this will remove all formatting on the text.

Another option is to set the fields Auto-Enter options to run a calculation to remove the formatting.

Go into the database field definitions and highlight the field in question.

Click 'Options...'

Now under the 'Auto-enter' tab click on the check box for 'Calculated value' a Specify Calculation dialog will appear and here is where you enter the calc to reformat the text to upper. Input the following

TextFormatRemove ( FieldName )

Click 'Ok'

Deselect the option 'Do not replace existing value of field (if any)' so the calc will run whenever the field is modified.

And click 'Ok' 

Let me knopw if this works for you.