2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 10:43 AM by philmodjunk

Automatic field functions

dagfe

Title

Automatic field functions

I am designing a database for keeping records of different pictures.  I have two problems that ought to be easy to solve, but I am not able to understand advises in Help menu.

In my database together with image, and specialized information on each picture, I would like to have
      1.   an unique entrance number on each record, an ID number which does not change even if the sequence of records are changed. I want this number to be displayed on my cards.   I guess it is an automatic entering of such a value, but how do I find it?
      2. automatic entering of: a)name, b) date of entering values and c)date of modifying values on each record.

I know this is basic - sorry - but being a fresh user of Filemaker I need basic knowledge. I am using Filemaker pro 9. It is not shared with others. I run it together with Windows. I look forward to your answer.

• 1. Re: Automatic field functions
          littledog

For record number use "Auto enter serial" - set it in Field Options dialog box.

Auto enter option is very good. 

There are several other options but auto enter is the easiest. 

• 2. Re: Automatic field functions
            philmodjunk

To set the auto-enter options as suggested by Little Dog,

Select Manage | Database | Fields.

Find the field for which you want to set such an auto-enter option.

Double-click it and select the auto-enter tab. You'll find options to enter:

a serial number

the account name used to log in to the file

the User Name set in Edit | Preferences

Creation Date

Modification Date

You can even create your own calculation to be auto-entered.