AnsweredAssumed Answered

Automatic look up field

Question asked by KatG on Sep 25, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 26, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Automatic look up field

Help with Checkbox Value List English to Spanish automation

Hey PhilModJunk! I tried to set this up (of course changing the names to protect the innocent)... I can't get it to work. I got to the end and when I entered into my checkbox set, the second field did not input the corresponding value, it enters only the same value no matter what box is checked in the first field and across different records.  I thought I went through all the steps methodically but I must have missed something somewhere. Did I need ot enable something in the relationship graph? The link above is the original thread and the Text below is the copy of the pertinent paragraph. I have a list of Procedures with descriptions and a code for each procedure. I would like to be able to click on the procedure decription performed and have it autoenter the appropriate code in another field.

The person had a report card with check boxes of comments in English and wanted to have the translated Spanish comment be checked off automatically.

"Define a table named Comments where you have two fields: English, Spanish.

Create one record for each comment and put the English version in the English field and the Spanish version in the Spanish field.

Use Edit Value lists to create two value lists for your two fields. Use the Specify vales from a field option to list the values from English for the first Comments field and set up the second value list to list values from the Spanish comments field.

Link it in a relationship similar to this:

OriginalTable::Comments = Comments::English

Define a text field, formatted with the Spanish value list to auto-enter the data in Comments::Spanish using this calculation:

List ( Comments::Spanish )

Clear the "do not replace existing value" check box.

When you select an English Lanaguage comment, the second comment field will automatically look up the corresponding Spanish comment and enter it into the field.

I can send screen shots if necessary, I thought you might know of a common thing missed that would cause the same value to be entered repeatedly.

Thanks

Kat

Outcomes