2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 9:28 AM by philmodjunk

Automatic relookup of field used in calculation

RA2

Title

Automatic relookup of field used in calculation

Hello,

I have set up a calculation field that sums up several fields, a few of which are in the same file and a few of which are look-ups from another file. The file with the calculation field is entered first, then the file that is the source of the looked-up fields. The look-up fields show on the linked file, but the sum calculation does not include these fields. Is there a way I can automate a relookup of the look-up fields once they are entered, so that my calculation is correct?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Automatic relookup of field used in calculation
          MikeyG79
             try making the calulation unstored, and get the fields from the other files directly, not through look-ups. (Use the actual field in the calculation rather than a lookup field.)
          • 2. Re: Automatic relookup of field used in calculation
            philmodjunk

MikeyG79's suggestion will certainly solve the automatic update issue, but sometimes you need the value to be a stored value as it might be a key field or a field used in find/sort operations.

If you have to, you can script a relookup of looked up values. There's a script step with exactly that name you can use. In FMP 10 you can set this up with a script trigger. The practicality of this approach and the details of how you would implement it depend on your database design and the sheer number of records that need the update each time a field is changed.