1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 9:17 AM by TSGal

Automatic Updating

Skip

Title

Automatic Updating

I collect automobile sales literature (3,500+ items) and have kept them in an Excel flat database. But every year the items increase by a certain % in value. If I move my dB over to FileMaker, is there a feature that would make the updating of their value automatic? I can't find anything in the manuals about such a feature. Thanks for your help. Skip

• 1. Re: Automatic Updating
          TSGal

Skip:

Thank you for your post.

Your question is a little vague, so let me describe what FileMaker can do.

There is no limit to the number of records or fields you can add to a table.  You are limited only by the file size of the operating system.

FileMaker Pro does have calculation fields that can be based upon a date. For example,

If (Year(DateField) = 2008, Value, 0)

or...

Case (Year (DateField) = 2008, Value,

Year (DateField) = 2007, Value * .95,

Year (DateField) = 2006, Value * .90,

Value * .85)

That is, if the year of the date field is 2008, display the value.  If it is 2007, display the value * 95%.  If it is 2006, display the value * 90%.  Otherwise, show 85% of the value.

You can also subtract two dates from one another to get days.  For example,

If (Today - DateField)< 365, Value, 0)

That is, if the DateField has occurred within the last year, display the value.  Otherwise, display zero.

I hope this gives you some ideas.  If you have more specific examples, let me know, and I'll give you the calculations.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.