3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 1:23 PM by philmodjunk

Automatically Filtered Drop-Down Value List

Hills72

Title

Automatically Filtered Drop-Down Value List

I am very much a newbie and I found that someone had asked a similar question to this, but I did not understand the answer.

I have a table called Project Managers with a field called PM Names and Active.

I have another table called Projects with a field called Project Manager where I want to show only the entries from PM Names in a drop-down list where the Active field  (from the Project Managers table) is "Yes"

Note: This is not a dependent drop-down list set up where the user selects and item from one field and then a second field. The user will only be selecting a project manager from the list. Someone else will determine whether the project manager is "active" or not.

I have attempted this a few ways and tried to follow some examples, but with no luck.

Any help you could provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hills72

• 1. Re: Automatically Filtered Drop-Down Value List
          philmodjunk

It's still a conditional value list whether the user selects a value that is used to filter the list or if the filter is preset to a specific category.

I found that someone had asked a similar question to this, but I did not understand the answer.

Without knowing what that answer is, I'm likely to simply repeat the same answer that you were unable to understand.

• 2. Re: Automatically Filtered Drop-Down Value List
            Hills72

Basically, when the user clicks on the Project Manager drop-down list, I want the results to only show the Project Manager's name (PM Names) from the Project Managers table where the status in the associated Active field is "Yes" and hide the names where the Active field is "No".

• 3. Re: Automatically Filtered Drop-Down Value List
              philmodjunk

I understand what you want. I'm just trying to avoid repeating an explanation that might be what you have read and failed to understand previously.

Have your read about "option 1" in the forum tutorial link? It would do exactly what you want here, but you may have tried and failed to follow those instructions previously.

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in FileMaker 12.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.