AnsweredAssumed Answered

Automatically generate 3-D array relationships from two simple lists...

Question asked by ColinH on Oct 8, 2009
Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 by TSGal

Title

Automatically generate 3-D array relationships from two simple lists...

FMP v.7, Mac OS X (10.6.1); I have basic knowledge of FMP for simple applications. My aim here is a stand-alone DB for my own use (as I explain below)

Hello,

I am trying to create a database to keep track of class grades in the following context: my students all do a particular task, and all grade each other's performance along ten variables (so everyone gives everyone else 10 individual scores). I would like to be able to establish a simple class list which would automatically generate the data structure necessary to organize all of these grades; corresponding, I guess to a kind of 3-D array, where my class list is both the X and the Y axis, and the ten variables are the Z axis, but I have no idea how to make that happen in FMP.

The only thing I want to have to edit directly is the class list itself, the grade variable list (to add or remove possibilities), and of course the actual grades, which I will have to enter in editable fields, but I do not want changes to my class list or to my grading possibilities to require me to hand edit out a whole bunch of related tables/layouts... Am I making sense?

In the past, I have done this using Numbers (the Mac equivalent of Excel), but any modification to my class list unleashes a nightmare of hand-editing to make sure my plethora of formulae don't break... It's error-prone and frustrating.

I'm sure FMP can do this, but I have been unable to work out how.

I would be most grateful for any help!

Cheers,

Colin

Outcomes