1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 22, 2009 3:08 PM by TSGal

Automatically generate 3-D array relationships from two simple lists...

ColinH

Title

Automatically generate 3-D array relationships from two simple lists...

FMP v.7, Mac OS X (10.6.1); I have basic knowledge of FMP for simple applications. My aim here is a stand-alone DB for my own use (as I explain below)

Hello,

I am trying to create a database to keep track of class grades in the following context: my students all do a particular task, and all grade each other's performance along ten variables (so everyone gives everyone else 10 individual scores). I would like to be able to establish a simple class list which would automatically generate the data structure necessary to organize all of these grades; corresponding, I guess to a kind of 3-D array, where my class list is both the X and the Y axis, and the ten variables are the Z axis, but I have no idea how to make that happen in FMP.

The only thing I want to have to edit directly is the class list itself, the grade variable list (to add or remove possibilities), and of course the actual grades, which I will have to enter in editable fields, but I do not want changes to my class list or to my grading possibilities to require me to hand edit out a whole bunch of related tables/layouts... Am I making sense?

In the past, I have done this using Numbers (the Mac equivalent of Excel), but any modification to my class list unleashes a nightmare of hand-editing to make sure my plethora of formulae don't break... It's error-prone and frustrating.

I'm sure FMP can do this, but I have been unable to work out how.

I would be most grateful for any help!

Cheers,

Colin

• 1. Re: Automatically generate 3-D array relationships from two simple lists...
          TSGal

ColinH:

Thank you for your post.

What immediately comes to mind is a Students table, a Class table, a Join table between Student and Class, a Task table, and at least one Grade table which includes the ID of the Student receiving the grade, the ID of the Student giving the grade, and the ID of the Task.  There are probably other variables, but that should get you pointed in the right direction.

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above tables.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.