3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2014 8:39 AM by philmodjunk

Automatically move a record from one database to another

DerekSchep

Title

Automatically move a record from one database to another

Hi guys,

I'm making two databases, one for products that are marked 'for sale' and one for products that are 'sold'. I was wondering if there is a possibility to make a button that will automatically shoot a  product from the 'for sale' database to the 'sold' database. Basically I just don't want the products that are sold to be in the same data set as the products that are still for sale.

If this isn't possible, what is the best way to achieve the same effect?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

• 1. Re: Automatically move a record from one database to another
          SteveMartino

I think most people will tell you this is not the best way to proceed.  First of all FM can easily handle all the data without performance issues.

Depending on your DB structure, easiest starring point may be to put a radio button on the layout with 2 values-'For Sale' & 'Sold'.  Then you could use persistent sort and script triggers to show 'For Sale' or 'Sold' records.  This makes it easier for reports, and easier to mange/use the DB

But if you insist to go the way you described, look at a script using export Records

• 2. Re: Automatically move a record from one database to another
            DerekSchep

Steve,

Thanks for the advice, I didn't really know the best way to handle this, which is the reason i posed it on the forum. I will attempt what you suggested and see if I can manage with my limited fm knowledge!

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Automatically move a record from one database to another
              philmodjunk

To expand on Steve's advice, with his set up, you can perform find for sold or unsold records to pull up lists of records either for the items sold or those that remain unsold very easily--either by a script or by manually performing a find.

But I'd use Import Records to move blocks of records from one table to another in FileMaker. Export records exports to a text or other type file and then you have to import from the text file with Import Records so the straight import is simpler and faster.