6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2014 3:51 PM by rodob8750

Automatically Open a Template as a new DB File

rodob8750

Title

Automatically Open a Template as a new DB File

Semi new to FMP.

I am sure this is an easy fix and I am missing it in the manuals but……..

(Mac OS 10.8.5/FMP 13 Pro)

We have a template that we use for various projects so we don't want it's basic format and options changed each time it is opened and used.

Can I open the template but have it automatically create a duplicate?

I tried making the template a Stationary Pad but it seems to lose some options and functions when I do that.

Is there a script I can embed in the DB that functions as the very first option when it is accessed?

Thanks

Rod

• 1. Re: Automatically Open a Template as a new DB File
          davidanders

Databases stored in the same folders as the beginner templates and opened as if from the solutions menu choice will behave as you wish.

Stationary setting used to work in some applications, not currently in Filemaker.

• 2. Re: Automatically Open a Template as a new DB File
            philmodjunk

And Save A Copy As... can be scripted to save an empty copy (clone) of any database file provided that it is not hosted from another computer. So you can also set up a file to save a clone of itself just by clicking a button.

• 3. Re: Automatically Open a Template as a new DB File
              rodob8750

Thanks for the responses but maybe I am not making myself clear.

In earlier versions of FMP you could make a template (mark it in MAC OS as a stationery pad) and when you click to open it automatically made a new copy of the file leaving the template alone.

We place a template on the desktop and when we need it we want the user to double click and have it automatically open a copy of the original

We can then rename the copy for the particular project we will be using it for and go right to work.

If there was a way it opened a naming window before it opened the copy even better.

Thanks

Rod

• 4. Re: Automatically Open a Template as a new DB File
                philmodjunk

(mark it in MAC OS as a stationery pad)

Would appear to be a Mac OS feature. Given that I don't own a Mac, that's not something that I can help you with, but it's very easy to generate copies of FileMaker files on either platform.

Besides what has already been mentioned, you could insert the file into a container field. Any time that you need to get a new copy of the file, export a copy from that container field. The process can be set up so that the user selects a location and enters a name for the new copy of the file.

• 5. Re: Automatically Open a Template as a new DB File
                  davidanders

I just tested it again - copied a db file "mydatabase.fp7" to the desktop, got info, checked "Stationery Pad", closed Get Info, double clicked.

It duplicated the file and named it "mydatabase copy.fp7" and opened FMP 11 Adv.

Apparently my previous test had a problem with a loose nut behind the keyboard.

From a MacWorld article

Reader Jake Tesler has a question about a long-standing OS X feature that few people use. He writes:

Can you tell me what “stationery pad” does? It’s that little checkbox in a Finder’s Get Info window. I’ve always been curious, but I can’t figure it out.

The Stationery Pad feature has been around for years. Helpful though it can be, very few people I know use it. And that’s too bad.

It’s a way of creating a template document. For example, create a blank TextEdit document, save it to the desktop, select it, press Command-I, and enable the Stationery Pad option. Double-click on that document and you generate a copy of it, complete with all of the original document’s content. The original file remains untouched.

You can do it with any file type but, of course, it’s not useful for all files. For example, it doesn’t do you a lot of good to save most image and movie files as stationery pads.

• 6. Re: Automatically Open a Template as a new DB File
                    rodob8750

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the help. 

I may try to automate the whole process with Apple’s Automator program

But for now I am using the old “Stationery” solution and hoping that the program remains stable

Rod