8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 4:27 PM by EdWilkinson

Automatically shrink font size in label printouts

EdWilkinson

Title

Automatically shrink font size in label printouts

I want to automatically shrink the point size of the fields in our Avery 5160 database. Some of the addresses we send to have long addresses and when we print the labels the full address is truncated. I'd like the point size to shrink so all of the address shows up. In our old label program, Design Pro, the text shrank automatically, but when I used the shrink up and to the left dialogue box, the point size doesn't shrink, it cuts it off so the complete address is missing. 

I'd sure appreciate knowing how to get the auto-resizeing that good ol' Avery design pro gave us! Thanks,

Ed

• 1. Re: Automatically shrink font size in label printouts
          philmodjunk

There isn't any such feature to select, but you can go to your labels layout, select the merge field or fields and format it to use a smaller font size.

You can also get a crude level of automatic adjustment with a conditional format that counts the number of characters in the field and selects a smaller font size for longer character counts.

• 2. Re: Automatically shrink font size in label printouts
            EdWilkinson

Thanks, Phil,

It's discouraging. If I shrink the font size to print the entire address of some exotic British customers, (such as Bill Smith, 133 Gently Turning Fern, South of Old Bird's Nest, Fox Den Pub, By The Olde Gentry House, near Bristlewick Pond, next to Adam's Bilge tank) then I have to make everything 4 points or so, then the other address are all that small when they don't need to be!

In Avery's Design Pro, which we've used for years to print labels, those addresses automatically shrink. It sucks as a database but is sooo user-friendly when it comes to printing labels!

See ya',

Ed

• 3. Re: Automatically shrink font size in label printouts
              philmodjunk

To repeat from my last post:

You can also get a crude level of automatic adjustment with a conditional format that counts the number of characters in the field and selects a smaller font size for longer character counts.

If you are willing to invest in some pretty elaborate scripting using a special layout, a calculation field and a looping script, you can even set up a calculation field that precisely adjusts the font size to fit the all the text into the available space but it's not a method for the faint of heart to employ as it's pretty esoteric.

• 4. Re: Automatically shrink font size in label printouts
                EdWilkinson

I know, but I'm afraid I'm too much of a neophyte to even attempt that! I was just wondering if there was a way to do it automatically. It seems there isn't.

Thanks, Phil,

Ed

• 5. Re: Automatically shrink font size in label printouts
                  philmodjunk

To repeat from my last post again:

I don't think that approach would be beyond the reach of a "neophyte". I use this method on some of my iPhone layouts so that long words selected in pop up menu fields will "fit" in the limited space available.

Select the field on the layout while in Layout mode. Add a formula type conditional format such as:

Length (self ) > 20

Specify a smaller font size by clicking "more formatting..." and then selecting an appropriate font size.

And you can stack up a series of such conditional formats for  different ranges of length.

I've said this is "crude" since the number of characters is not a super accurate way to predict the amount of space needed to display the text. iiiii and WWWWW are the same number of characters after all...

• 6. Re: Automatically shrink font size in label printouts
                    EdWilkinson

Thanks, Phil, I'll try it!

I appreciate the help!

Ed

• 7. Re: Automatically shrink font size in label printouts
                      philmodjunk

Another approach that you may like better is to place a field on a layout sized and formatted exactly to match the field on your labels layout but formatted as an edit box. You can then select the text in the field and use the formatting tool bar to change the font size manually. This would allow you to precisely adjust the font manually to fit the label. This format setting would supercede the conditional formatting so you can actually use both methods. Use the conditional formatting to get most of the addresses to fit and then resort to this manual method to adjust the few that still don't fit.

You can even add a pair of buttons to such a layout that clicking one increases the font size and clicking the other decreases it.

• 8. Re: Automatically shrink font size in label printouts
                        EdWilkinson

Oh, cool...I totally understand that!

I'll do that. Thanks again, Phil, I really appreciate the help!

See ya',

Ed