2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 9:22 AM by afterhours

automating field renaming, or script renaming (or even layout renaming

afterhours

Title

automating field renaming, or script renaming (or even layout renaming

Hi... I have several fp5 solutions that will migrate to fm9 next year.  Are there applescripts or other automated tools available that can rename fields, scripts or layouts for files?   If so, what works well, what doesn't?  Thank you.

• 1. Re: automating field renaming, or script renaming (or even layout renaming
          TSGal

afterhours:

Thank you for your post.

At any time, you can go into the database structure and rename fields, scripts and layouts.  You can do that with FileMaker Pro 5, too.

In FileMaker Pro 5, pull down the File menu and select "Define Fields..." to change field names.  Pull down the Scripts menu and select "ScriptMaker" to change the names of scripts.  Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode", and then pull down the Layouts menu and select "Layout Setup" to change the names of Layouts.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: automating field renaming, or script renaming (or even layout renaming
            afterhours

Um, thank you.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong forum.  I'm aware that it can be done manually via the various definition menu selections for fields, layouts and scripts.  One at a time.  Some of the solutions I need to manage are multifile (15+ fp5 files), with upwards of 100+ fields within some files, maybe 50+ scripts, 15-50 layouts depending on needs.  (These are a bit more complex than one's average address book :)  )

I was seeking a script with hooks into FMP6 that might already exist for renaming in bulk.  I mean, you wouldn't expect to rename a batch of files in the Finder by hand if you were serializing them, or prepending or appending a nomenclature to them.  You'd use a tool like R-Name or something similar that could batch rename items.  The same need must apply to Filemaker solutions in some fashion.  A FMP database that has a lot of fields might need to have all of those fields renamed with a prepended filename to them, or scripts, or so forth.  This would be a first step in more properly preparing for migration to the fp7 format, and better organizing a database overall.

So it was my hope there were scripts already out there.  If not, I can spend a few days renaming, then testing to insure that relationships are retained.

Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate that you took the time to answer.  I'm hoping there are developers here that leverage the Applescript hooks within FMP to manage naming conventions, migrations and so forth.