6 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2010 4:41 AM by Hauneburg

Automation functions concerning audio / video

Hauneburg

Title

Automation functions concerning audio / video

Hello,

As an assistant at an institute for language research I was asked to compile a database of all video material by one of our researchers. This was meant to be done in FMpro8.0v1 (Mac) and since I don't have any experience whatsoever with the programme - or similar software for that matter (neither does the researcher) - I was instantly confronted with some basic questions regarding the capabilities of the software and any possible plugins.
      The thing is, the research archive is vast, but when looking for certain expressions in speach we'd like to be able to use rather small clips of the material in question (to be able to track swiftly in what context they are used), which in their turn need to be linked to small transcription parts. So the reseacher asked me to find out wether it's possible to:
      - link both a full video (e.g. 20 min.) and get FMpro to make 2 minute segments within different templates, of which each contains (these segments should NOT be seperate files)
      - link the transcription (txt) of what is said to both the full video and to the 2 minute segments (this should probably be done manually, but it would be helpful if the programme could just automatically link the full transcription to every segment, so an assistant just needs to crop the relevant part.)
      - search the database for any expression and then get a list of the full videos as well as the relevant 2 minute segments
      Is all of this possible? Is any of this possible? Perhaps with some kind of plugin?
      Hope it's clear, otherwise I'd be happy to provide more info...
      Thanks,

Per / the Netherlands

• 1. Re: Automation functions concerning audio / video
          Hauneburg

So the main structure would be:

List of videos -> video template (via text portal)-> 2 minute section(& possibly: via text portal-> line by line record for each utterance)

Of course some fields within the templates will be interlinked as well, though this is not relevant unless the segmentation process can be automated (partially).

• 2. Re: Automation functions concerning audio / video
            philmodjunk

FIlemaker can't do this part natively:

"...and get FMpro to make 2 minute segments within different templates, of which each contains (these segments should NOT be seperate files)"

You never know what a plug in developer might have created. You'll have to do a web search and see what you can find.

• 3. Re: Automation functions concerning audio / video
              comment_1

It shouldn't be too difficult to take a new record and break it up into related segments of 2 minutes each. At the same time, the full transcript could be entered into a field in each created segment (to be edited later). However, I am not sure what you mean by "different templates".

And, of course, Filemaker will not break up your video files. The most it can do is let you search for an expression, then tell you it can be found in file XYZ, somewhere between 12:00 and 14:00.

• 4. Re: Automation functions concerning audio / video
                Hauneburg

thanks for you help.

"different templates" was a mistake; I meant different records for each 2 minute segment (from the same template...)

After reading my post again;

So we need a general record for the whole video file and then, depending on what expression is clicked on in the text portal, this should link to the record for the related 2 minute segment in which it occurs.

On that record there should be a possibility to play the specific video segment, which will be streamed from the full video, marked out by timecodes for instance.

I tried looking for plugins some time ago, but I find it a bit hard to 'define' the function I'm looking for. But I'll give it another try...

Thanks!

• 5. Re: Automation functions concerning audio / video
                  comment_1

Hauneburg wrote:

On that record there should be a possibility to play the specific video segment, which will be streamed from the full video, marked out by timecodes for instance.

This MIGHT  be possible if you use AppleScript to play the video in QuickTime Player.

• 6. Re: Automation functions concerning audio / video
                    Hauneburg

Great. I'll see if  I can either a plug-in or a way of doing it with AppleScript....

Thanks a lot!