6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2015 11:34 AM by EmanueleRossi

Autosafe don't work in FM

EmanueleRossi

Title

Autosafe don't work in FM

Hello everyone,

I work on a simple billing program created with filemaker 10 on an iMac 10.6.

This is the problem: for example, today we have 17 invoice , starting from n. 112 and we got to 129.

All bills were printed, some even changed later (maybe there was a typo article), we found invoices when we were required ... in short, a normal use of a little program database.

The problem is that now, I opened the program to check something and invoices issued today are all gone... Delete. The program has the n.113 and the other ... gone.

It is not the first time that happens . Last 16, 14 and January 7 ... Last year it happened other 4-5 times.

The files are in a folder of google drive because so are visible even on laptops if one is at home or in another computer in the office . At home the only one who has access to google drive , so if I work in the office , I can definitely open the file with your home computer .

I thought filemaker could stop saving , if the same file is opened by the two computers at once (even if one goes for convenience only and does not change and / or corrects anything ) . Suspecting but not entirely convinced , every time I have to make an invoice wonder "do you have open the window of the billing program?" if it is open, I ask to close and then, I open it. If It's not open, of course I open it.

And the same thing makes my colleague .

I also have time machine on my computer but not needed. Time machine saves , makes up everything but the file we are using for the bill , is saved exactly as I see it now I, ie as if we had not worked more on that file from 15.03 hour probable creation and issuance of invoice 113. All the other is as if they had never been written .

I thought it was a problem of cache (it was set to default to 8Mb ) and I got up to 50Mb ( the file used weighs approximately 3.4MB ) but nothing.

I thank in advance those who will help me solve this problem .

Emanuele

• 1. Re: Autosafe don't work in FM
          philmodjunk

This is not a good way to share this database amongst your computers.

I suspect that one user opened the database in Drive first, then a second user opened it and created the invoices. They then closed the file and FileMaker saved as it should. But then the first user closed their copy of the file (where they did NOT create any invoices) and that copy then saved over the top of the other copy--reverting your file to a version prior to the creation of these invoices.

• 2. Re: Autosafe don't work in FM
            EmanueleRossi

Thank you so much PhilModJunk

But... Can I work with a file (created by FM) invoice.fm10 with the first computer and with the second read the same file?

The question is: two computers can open the same file?

I would like to know or understand if It's possible

I open my computer and I share a folder. I open the file invoice.fp10 with the first computer.

With the second computer I visit the share folder and I have try to open the file invoice.fp10... don't work.

But the file is open in share-->filemaker network

Sorry but I'm italian and I know my english is very very bad but I hope you can understand me. I try to insert this post into the italian filemaker forum but is like a desert. A lot of person ask help but nobody visit or reply. It's like a Sahara Desert :)

• 3. Re: Autosafe don't work in FM
              philmodjunk

Not using this method. You would need to open the file with FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server on computer #1 and then computer #2 would use Open Remote to find computer #1 and open a file hosted by it.

• 4. Re: Autosafe don't work in FM
                philmodjunk

Forgot to mention, that you first have to enable sharing for both computer #1 and the file before this method will work.

• 5. Re: Autosafe don't work in FM
                  EmanueleRossi

Excuse me but, I need a filemaker server??? I have FM Pro 10

I open the computer #1, I share (with filemaker) the file... I go to computer #2, I open with open remote (to host pref. I see my computer with host address fmnet:/192.168.1.103) but there are not the file shared. :(

• 6. Re: Autosafe don't work in FM
                    EmanueleRossi

Sorry Phil,

I must resolve this problem. I read a lot of threads, pages, supports... nothing

I open 5003 port into the router, the file is shared to all and open but nothing, I don't understand :(