FileMaker fields can shrink but they can't grow. Thus, you can try setting up a layout for printing where you select the text field's that contain such variable amounts of data and size them to be extremely large. Then use the sliding and visibility settings on the Inspector's position tab to set them to slide up and to resize the enclosing part.
Given these limitations, it's worth taking a close look at these "blurbs" and seeing if you couldn't set up a related table of records that breaks this single mass of text up into individual records with text entries of a more uniform size. You might be able to set up a list view layout based on such a related table and get better results when printing.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
Right but with the field sliding up option, can I have the body of the record follow suit?
This would result in each record having varying body sizes based on the amount of text.
My Mistake Phil, I wasn't viewing in preview mode therefor I thought it was not working. It's all good now, thank you!