3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2013 1:42 PM by Matty_1

Autosizing for printing

Matty_1

Title

Autosizing for printing

I currently have a data bases that tracks particular incidents, attached to those incidents are any number of investigations.  Within any given investitation could be a very short blurb or several pages worth of findings.

What I'm looking to do is print off all the required infomration once an incident report is complete.  This comprises of the header where all the who what where when and hows of the incident are displpayed, then I have a layout in list form that lists off all the individual investigation records for the one particular incident.   My questions is as follows:

Is it possible to have the body of each individual record in list format conform to the length of text for each individual investiation regardless is it's one line or several pages?

• 1. Re: Autosizing for printing
          philmodjunk

FileMaker fields can shrink but they can't grow. Thus, you can try setting up a layout for printing where you select the text field's that contain such variable amounts of data and size them to be extremely large. Then use the sliding and visibility settings on the Inspector's position tab to set them to slide up and to resize the enclosing part.

Given these limitations, it's worth taking a close look at these "blurbs" and seeing if you couldn't set up a related table of records that breaks this single mass of text up into individual records with text entries of a more uniform size. You might be able to set up a list view layout based on such a related table and get better results when printing.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          • 2. Re: Autosizing for printing
            Matty_1

Right but with the field sliding up option, can I have the body of the record follow suit?  

This would result in each record having varying body sizes based on the amount of text.

• 3. Re: Autosizing for printing
              Matty_1

My Mistake Phil, I wasn't viewing in preview mode therefor I thought it was not working.  It's all good now, thank you!