1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 22, 2011 11:43 AM by MichaelVoccola

Availability management

MichaelVoccola

Title

Availability management

I am working on the availability portion of my database that determines the availability of an item based on its appearance in other records and the current.

It essentially is tracking rental inventory. Each "job" has a start and end date and equipment list. This portion of the database is currently 3 tables: "Jobs", "line items", and "inventory", much like a standard invoicing layout. When I add equipment from the inventory to a job, it creates a new line item.

What I plan on doing for the next step, is have the system confirm the "inventory" being added isn't part of an overlapping "job", along with a number of other minor features, such as a QTY available for the job (based on the dates of the job), which I assume should be a field in "inventory" that isn't indexed and has an appropriate calculation.

Question: is creating an "availability" field in Inventory the correct approach? If so, what type of calculation(s) would give me the desired result?

• 1. Re: Availability management
          MichaelVoccola

I am able to generate a field in inventory to summarize the quantity of references of a particular item in the "line items" table. However, I am unsuccessful thus far in filtering these results based on the date range of the current "job" record.

I would like to subtract this "availability" field (maybe more appropriately termed 'out on job') from the total available quantity to get the available QTY; again, based on the date of the current "job".