AnsweredAssumed Answered

Average generated for specific records

Question asked by k1ngf1sher on Feb 12, 2010
Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 by Marx

Title

Average generated for specific records

Hi all, I'm trying to figure out how to calculate an average from specific records in a table and am having trouble determining how to solve this puzzle.  The situation is this: I have multiple nitrogen ("N") analysis results for the same livestock site ("SiteID"), but only want the average determined from specific records (and not all from a single site).  I created an "Include" field that would serve as a means of selecting the fields I wanted, created a self-join relationship, then wrote the following 'If' statement to determine my average:

If (Manure Analysis Data 2::Include="Yes"; Average ( Manure Analysis Data 2::N );"")

Currently, this calculation gives the me the average of all N values for the SiteID, which is not what I want.  I thought about limiting the records to only those that I want, but this database is for a client and I would prefer not to have to add another step to this process.

For the record, I've done something similar to this using a summary report, but I need to be able to use the generated value in a portal; I believe will be especially important when I need to generate several N averages when there are multiple operations ("OperationID") within a "SiteID".

Thoughts/shrieks of terror/dope-slaps are welcome.

K

Outcomes