1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2015 8:48 AM by philmodjunk

Average Minutes Seconds Elapsed

ShariDivido

Title

Average Minutes Seconds Elapsed

Hi, hoping someone can help me with a calculation to average the amount of time in minutes and seconds elapsed.  Here is the scenario:  I have multiple fire drills entered as one record each with a start and end time and a calculation (end time - start time) for "elapsed time".  Now I need to get an average of time elapsed. 

I have a field to count the number of drills and a summary field to get the total of the elapsed time.  Should I not just be able to create a field that divides the sum of the elapsed time by the number of drills?  Time is tricky and I don't think I am quite getting this right.

Any help you can give is appreciated.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Average Minutes Seconds Elapsed
          philmodjunk

You could, End time - start time can produce a result that is a number or time depending on what you select as the result type. A result type of "time" can be formatted to show minutes and seconds.

But you can also define an "average of" summary field to compute the average of all the fire drill records in your current found set.

This same field or the Average function can also be used to show the average of a set of related records.